Whyte 901

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Looking to get one towards Xmas. Is this going to be a good all rounder? Some trails, some XC stuff some gnarlier stuff in Wales next year and a little off road commuting when the weather is not too bad.

Comments

• I love mine!

I have used for DH, trail and road and it performs amazingly!

EqH3d3g.jpg

Cheers
    Ben
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Only a snapshot, but I tried the Whyte 901, 905 and T130 at Hadleigh last weekend (demo day). I really liked the 901, I felt comfortable on it straight away ( I have a 5 year old, 26" wheel mtb at the moment, so things have changed quite a bit since I bought mine). I was happy riding it over all the red route, I'd buy one if I needed a new bike!
  • I'm 5ft 9 with 29" inside leg and short arms - Whyte geo recommends medium but would small be better?
    Normally a roadie and prefer smaller frames with long stems.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Long torso usually means you need the larger size (Torso has the biggest effect on bike length), you are a similar build to me.

I'd get the Medium, worst case you could then shorten the cockpit using an inline seatpost.

Don't ruin the bike with a longer stem, not with that HA.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JC78DSL99 wrote:
    I'm 5ft 9 with 29" inside leg and short arms - Whyte geo recommends medium but would small be better?
    Normally a roadie and prefer smaller frames with long stems.
    Where are you and can you hire?
    My local trail is Swinley and the 901 is their stock hire bike.
    I'm 5'10" but have short legs with closer to 28 than 29 ..and various times I've hired the 901s and been very impressed with them for trails ... nicer on the trials than my carbon XC with XT everything and less than the price of a single wheel...let alone frame or group set...

I liked them so much I hired a medium t-130 a month ago when I tore a hydraulic hose and didn't have time to get a new one and install that weekend... and I liked it so much I thought I'd try a small next and buy one at some point...

Only I liked it so much I ended up buying a medium ... it was questionable but you don't want to be adding a longer stem... the dropper post is all the way as low as it goes but that means it's still rideable for me fully up... (actually perfect by chance) . the downtube is bent so you can't get it all the way down like a straight down tube ... and obviously you can't just hack 3" off the bottom...

If possible I'd try and hire before you buy.. free demos are even better but Swinley is £15 for 3 hours (and they wash it after) and much better than getting the wrong size IMHO