Cleaning your cleaning brushes

Klang180
Klang180 Posts: 22
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hello everyone

Now the topic of cleaning a bike, drivetrain etc. has been done to death but what i always fail to see is how people get the cleaning equipment clean after you've cleaned the bike itself.

The reason i ask is i got a set of Muc-Off brushes and at first they were great at cleaning my bike. Now however when i go to clean the bike i find that can actually end up making the bike worse such is the build-up of grease on them.

SO my question is, how do you peeps clean your brushes after a bike cleaning? I don't want to have to go and purchase new brush sets when the bristles seem to be perfectly good and it will happen all over again anyway.

Thanks for your time. I hope you can help!

Comments

• SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Use Fairy Liquid and a nail brush and use both to scrub each other until clean.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Muc Off has obviously missed a trick here - if only they made a cleaning brush for cleaning brushes. They could also sell a cleaning brush cleaning brush cleaning fluid to go with it.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Wash them out in white spirit then clean the white spirit out with fairy liquid
  • Imposter wrote:
    Muc Off has obviously missed a trick here - if only they made a cleaning brush for cleaning brushes. They could also sell a cleaning brush cleaning brush cleaning fluid to go with it.

Haha very good.
  • SME wrote:
    Use Fairy Liquid and a nail brush and use both to scrub each other until clean.

Cool i'll give that a shot.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Wash them out in white spirit then clean the white spirit out with fairy liquid

Seems quite drastic but maybe it is what i should have a go at. Might be costly too!
  • How do you clean the brushes you use to clean the brushes? :-(
    left the forum March 2023
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Klang180 wrote:
    Hello everyone

Now the topic of cleaning a bike, drivetrain etc. has been done to death but what i always fail to see is how people get the cleaning equipment clean after you've cleaned the bike itself.

The reason i ask is i got a set of Muc-Off brushes and at first they were great at cleaning my bike. Now however when i go to clean the bike i find that can actually end up making the bike worse such is the build-up of grease on them.

SO my question is, how do you peeps clean your brushes after a bike cleaning? I don't want to have to go and purchase new brush sets when the bristles seem to be perfectly good and it will happen all over again anyway.

Just have two sets of brushes and make sure one lot never gets used on the drivetrain and clean the drivetrain before the rest of the bike.
  • Alex99 wrote:
    Klang180 wrote:
    Hello everyone

Just have two sets of brushes and make sure one lot never gets used on the drivetrain and clean the drivetrain before the rest of the bike.

That's a good idea, think i'll give that a go.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    dishwasher
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Wash your bike more often, don't use excessive amounts of chain lubes and swap mucky tacky ones for cleaner running stuff. Also use cheap as chips sponges, you only basically need one brush to help with the cassette a bit.

I've used the same brush for the cassette for a couple of years, it's clean, it goes in and out of the bucket. I only use car shampoo and water for the bike and spray Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner on the chain at the cassette while pedalling in a stand. All my bikes are kept clean (I don't commute so I can clean whenever it needs cleaning). The only time I do any more cleaning is to take the cassette off to completely degrease in a tub, and detach the chain to do the same to that. I probably do that twice a year.

Of course, it depends how much you use your bikes, but some people don't keep them well and let them get all gunked up before cleaning them, that's when you're gonna end up with filth on your cleaning kit.
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Try scouring sponges (post dishwashing) for the chain, followed by a wipe down with kitchen towel. Relube and wipe off excess with a kitchen towel. Use baby wipes as a floss for the cassette, chain rings and other tight to access parts such as brakes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    johnmiosh wrote:
    Try scouring sponges (post dishwashing) for the chain, followed by a wipe down with kitchen towel. Relube and wipe off excess with a kitchen towel. Use baby wipes as a floss for the cassette, chain rings and other tight to access parts such as brakes.

I wouldnt want to use a scouring sponge - you will be wearing away the surface of the chain...