Campag Veloce lever maintenance - brake lever sticks

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Does anybody happen to know if you can service the brake lever on Campag Veloce shifters.

I've seen that on higher end campag levers you can remove the brake lever by tapping out the pin. Not something I want to try if it isn't supposed to move.

Problem with mine is they have seized up a fair bit (see topic on indoor training board) and are now too stiff to ping back under the force of the calliper spring.

Thanks

Comments

• You can remove it in the same way as in the higher series. Are you sure it is the lever and not the caliper/cable system? Have you tried a bit of GT85/WD40? Veloce levers have no bearings, so a bit of solvent won't do no harm
    left the forum March 2023
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    You can remove it in the same way as in the higher series. Are you sure it is the lever and not the caliper/cable system? Have you tried a bit of GT85/WD40? Veloce levers have no bearings, so a bit of solvent won't do no harm

Used it on my turbo trainer bike and it's definitely the lever that is seized. Have sprayed loads of both WD40 and GT85 in there, which helped a bit but it's still not what I'd describe as freely moving.

Will have a look at tapping the pin back and forth to see if that loosens it up.
  • If it's a Veloce UltraShift lever you can just tap the pin from the inside towards the outside - it doesn't go the other way. If it's an older Escape-type shifter you can move it in either direction.

Spraying with random solvents is a very bad idea. The plastics used in some Campag levers are susceptible to solvent absorbtion which can cause accelerated wear and tear as the plastics soften. I'd strip the lever off the bars, strip it right down, clean all the solvent out very thorougly and reassemble using Kluber Topas NB52 grease (used to be marketed by Campag as LB100) to rebuild it - that is the "for life" factory lube.

We can do that for you here at VeloTech if you don't want to try it yourself.

You may get gear "jumping" problems where the mechanism will skip one or several sprockets when you upshift in the future, otherwise.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    29 Dollar for 50 grams, does it contain gold particles?