Tub gluing and cold weather

trek_dan
trek_dan Posts: 1,366
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
I started gluing a set of tubs earlier in the week (I use the Crossjunkie method) and went to put another layer on last night, but the glue seems to have dried to be hard and brittle. Theres certain pitches I could just pick off with my nails. Has the glue not cured properly due to the cold weather? I've done them in my garage and it is quite cold, albeit I've glued them in there a few times before and never had any problems, usually I glue earlier in the year though before the season starts :roll:

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've had to glue tubs right through the season, generally do so in an unheated garage, and have never had this problem. I do find the glue harder to apply in a thin layer if it's cold and I've forgotten to leave the tin indoors, or if I'm getting towards the bottom of the tin, but never had issues with it going hard/brittle.

I suppose it might depend on the type of glue; for what it's worth, I'm using Vittoria Mastik One.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • trek_dan
    Hmm thanks for the input, this was Conti tub cement - if the cold shouldn't effect it I'm almost wondering if I've had a bad batch of glue, or the tin had been compromised before I got it somehow :(
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    If it's the Conti Carbon specific glue throw it away. It is useless. Mastik FTW.

I do allow mine to dry indoors though, I do think that all glue is temperature sensitive to some extent.
  • trek_dan
    VamP wrote:
    If it's the Conti Carbon specific glue throw it away. It is useless. Mastik FTW.

I do allow mine to dry indoors though, I do think that all glue is temperature sensitive to some extent.

Yeah it was Conti carbon specific cement, is it just not very good? I think the way foward will just be to scrub off all the loose flaky glue and use the Vittoria Mastik :roll:
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    trek_dan wrote:
    VamP wrote:

Yeah it was Conti carbon specific cement, is it just not very good? I think the way foward will just be to scrub off all the loose flaky glue and use the Vittoria Mastik :roll:

Continental glue for aluminium rims is fine. The whole point of ''not using it on carbon'' is in case it melts from the heat generated by braking. You don't generate that much in cross. None at all if you're on disc brakes.

But I do slightly prefer Mastik.