Compact Digital Camera

2»

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    My Sony HX50 certainly takes good photos on auto - my brother berates me for ignoring nearly all the clever settings, but I still tend to take better photos than him, and take about a tenth of the time. I just leave the software to do the clever stuff, and shrug my shoulders if my laziness means the photo doesn't quite come out as I'd hoped...
  • Two quite different cameras. Yes the larger sensor in the Sony will give you greater detail and a flexibility in editing, but has MUCH lower zoom capability than the TZ70.

For general walk around photography of the type you're describing, to be honest the Panasonic is a better choice. That extra zoom capability will give you way more options in framing shots than the Sony, and the difference in image quality will only really be noticeable in very low light. Be aware that those Sony RX100 cameras now come in five variants, type I, II, III, IV, V. There's subtle but significant differences in specification and latest model V is considerably dearer than the "older" ones, although they're all still available new I think, or at least new stock in dealers.

If you want to get keen, use the option in either camera to shoot in RAW + JPEG file formats (or RAW only) and start using editing software like Lightroom (excellent) or Capture One (not used but also excellent choice according to the pros). Or Photoshop if you''ve got the time and knowledge. By using RAW file format, you can do much more in the software to edit and improve your photo than if you start with JPEG (which is an already processed RAW from the camera).
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Secteur wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Colleague of mine who researches his every tech purchase to the nth degree speaks very highly of the Sony RX100. Boss bought one too and her pics of alpine hols are excellent.

Yes, every review and comparison I can find rates the Rx100 on top - my only concern is whether it requires the user to be more technically expert than I am... or if it produces the excellent photos in the hands of a point-and-shooter like me. Dare I ask, but is your boss a "photographer" or a pointy-shooter?? And were the images noticeably good quality / colour / depth etc to the regular untrained eye? I won't be exhibiting or displaying, but I want the images to be as rich as possible, and not flat like my iPhone produces.

Boss is definitely a point and shoot kinda gal. Pics are often badly framed / composed, but the quality of the resulting image looks very good to me. And she has 2 iPhones.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Sony Cyber shot - simple. Inexpensive. Easy to use point and shoot. Good battery life. I can plug the card straight into the laptop or even the printer (not that I ever do that).

Bargain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Cybersho ... SwA3dYErax
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    The RX 100 is a lovely camera, but I think to big/heavy to carry in your jersey pocket.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Secteur wrote:
    My old Samsung ST100; 1/2.33", 14MP
    Panasonic TZ70: 1/2.3", 12MP
    Sony RX100: 1", 20MP (note the large sensor - 1")

So clearly, the Sony will take the best photos by far, but it seems that it's more of a serious-amateur compact camera.

Nope. There's a lot more to it than that. From the above info you can probably say that the Sony will produce the best wall sized posters (which is great if you like making wall sized posters) but that's about it! The truth is far more complicated........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Rolf F wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    My old Samsung ST100; 1/2.33", 14MP
    Panasonic TZ70: 1/2.3", 12MP
    Sony RX100: 1", 20MP (note the large sensor - 1")

So clearly, the Sony will take the best photos by far, but it seems that it's more of a serious-amateur compact camera.

Nope. There's a lot more to it than that. From the above info you can probably say that the Sony will produce the best wall sized posters (which is great if you like making wall sized posters) but that's about it! The truth is far more complicated........
    Correct. Pixels are like wine. It is more about quality than quantity.
    Some may argue. But they are wrong.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If it's between the TZ70 and RX100 and you're looking for an all round point and shoot then I think the Panasonic would be a much better bet than the Sony. Unless you are taking most of your photos indoors and under low light, the optical zoom on the Panasonic will be far more beneficial in my opinion.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Instead of conveying my pesonal preference for a fixed lens, large apertures and a big sensor.. why not use some software to review your current library, it'll tell you how you've been shooting for years.
    http://photo.stackexchange.com/question ... cal-length
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Thanks everyone - some really helpful answers there, and I appreciate you all taking the time!

I am starting to come full circle and thinking I might just stick with the iPhone, but if I go down the camera route, I think based on the posts above, it'll be the Panasonic Lumix TZ70. I just hate having to carry anything more than phone / wallet / keys... but then I want to have some really nicely photographed memories.

OK, cheers !
  • pinno
    The end of the thread and no bun fight?! This just won't do...
  • Secteur wrote:
    Thanks everyone - some really helpful answers there, and I appreciate you all taking the time!

I am starting to come full circle and thinking I might just stick with the iPhone, but if I go down the camera route, I think based on the posts above, it'll be the Panasonic Lumix TZ70. I just hate having to carry anything more than phone / wallet / keys... but then I want to have some really nicely photographed memories.

OK, cheers !

I did the same thing earlier this year before going to Canada. I didn't want to have to carry around my heavy SLR, was about to click buy on the TZ70 but didn't in the end. That said, a friend was showing me some photos from a holiday and wedding yesterday and I was really impressed with the photos. Turns out they were using a TZ60, so that along with this thread has got me thinking about selling my SLR and getting the TZ70 again...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Secteur wrote:

OK, cheers !
    Bottom line. Snaps for memories, then a phone is good enough. For photography* you need a camera. There is a difference and the choice/balance is up to you. PS - Nikon for a bunfight. :wink:

*A good photographer will take better pictures with a phone than I will with my DSLR.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Thanks...cheers !
    Bottom...PS - Nikon for a bunfight. :wink:

In the late eighties and early 90's,most Journo's used Nikon bodies. John Voos (Independent Newspaper; Photo Journalist) a long time friend of mine* said that they weren't the best but they were very durable and took a heck of a lot of abuse.

I don't know if the modern Digital equivalent Nikon's have the same reputation.

*I'm not name dropping - he went out with my sister. Soon saw the error of his ways :D and I stayed i contact with him much to my sister's disapproval.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Finally got chance to go to John Lewis today, which had both these cameras in stock... boy for compact cameras they are huge! Relatively speaking, obviously! They would bulk out a pocket with no room for anything else.

Without having really thought much about it, I just assumed they would have got much smaller in the 7 or 8 or so years since I last bought one.

I am really glad I didn't buy one blind.

Definitely going to stick with the iPhone.

Sorry to have wasted all the contributors time, but thanks for the replies!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Secteur wrote:
    Finally got chance to go to John Lewis today, which had both these cameras in stock... boy for compact cameras they are huge! Relatively speaking, obviously! They would bulk out a pocket with no room for anything else.

Without having really thought much about it, I just assumed they would have got much smaller in the 7 or 8 or so years since I last bought one.

I am really glad I didn't buy one blind.

Definitely going to stick with the iPhone.

Sorry to have wasted all the contributors time, but thanks for the replies!

Poor choice made! Plenty of compact compact cameras - but some also quite large. You should have looked at the ones that were suitable to your needs. It's a bit like deciding to replace your skateboard with a small car and only looking at SUVs and then complaining that cars are too big! The skateboard is still the worst option of the three if getting from A to B is the priority.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Here's why I should always take my Sony with me as well as the mobile phone... 60x zoom (30x optical) and image stabilisation...

wp-image-836581703jpg.jpg

The shot I really regret missing was a buzzard in a similar pose, but with a 2000m mountain as the backdrop. Drat.
  • pinno
    Good shot BT.