£1000 for a commuter with hydraulic discs, through axle, mudguard and pannier mounts.

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I may be shifting from working from home to commuting into central London and want to consider a few sub £1000 commuter bikes so I can save my nice bike for the dry. I'm looking for one that I can easily fit a good set of mudguards on and possibly panniers whilst still running quite wide tyres, has hydraulic disc brakes and through axle frame/fork. Maybe I'm asking too much, in which case I could possible stretch a little higher but would prefer not to.

I'm not too familiar with cyclecross/commuter/trail bike offerings so maybe all of those things on one bike are out of my price range but any pointers would be appreciated. I did like the look of the Planet X London Road but I am pretty sure I want a through axle frame to minimise any chance of the disc brakes rubbing as a noisy bike will end up driving me crazy.

Comments

• y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    You can't really go wrong with the Planet X london Road. I've just got one for the winter commute. Sram Hyd discs, proper mounts for guards and panniers, rides up to 40mm tyres and it rides pretty well. Cost me less than £800 (less via the Bike to Work thing). Only thing it doesn't have is thru axles. I do get a bit of rub, but compared to my last disc brake road bike, it's very easy to get rid of.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2016
    The Norco Search range have Thru axle which will probably be reduced to £999 next August / September!

Other hydro options to consider without thru axle are:

Whyte Suffolk 105 (reduced at the mo to 999), TRP version gets semi hydro for cheaper
    Pinnacle Dolomite 4 (850)
    Pinnacle Arkose (999)
    London Road (SRAM)
    Eastway balun http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-balun-c1-105-2016
    Boardman CX Team (SRAm, Cheap, BC discount of 10%, One chainring!)
    Merlin CX communter (Not hydro - sorry got that wrong: https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-x20 ... 86641.html
  • alan_sherman
    Apparently the shimano hydro brakes retract more than the SRAM ones so should have less disc rubbing issues.
  • prhymeate
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The Whyte Suffolk 105 looks like it ticks all the boxes and seems to get good reviews apart from being a little on the heavy side. Although through axles are on my list of wants the London Road is still very appealing for the price... decisions decisions...
  • alan_sherman
    Did you see the Arkose 4 has thru axle (15mm though rather than 12)? £100 over budget.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV244110

The 2016 Arkose 3 has QR. Next year will be thru axle (12mm) with fork mudguard eyelets in a sensible place and flat mount brakes. RRP 110 over a grand but discounts will make it cycle to work friendly.
  • alan_sherman
    And the Arkose 2 2017 with Tiagra hydro will have thru axle at a grand. Interesting chainset ratios at 48/32.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275623

I'd have thought most 2017 ranges will have a tiagra hydro groupset with thru axle and flat mount brakes (as that is the standard shimano have set) for about a grand.
  • alan_sherman
    Norco search tiagra 2017 (15mm thru axle):
    https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-searc ... e-EV277744
  • prhymeate
    Cheers for the replies alan, much appreciated. I did notice the Arkose 4, looks really good but I'm just not sure about the colour red, plus I might need an XL which is sold out..the others are definitely worth adding to my list of options. I'm hoping I might be able to get 105 within my budget too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Lots of replies about TA and a more inconsequential feature on a bike I can't imagine. It's entirely up to you, OP, but TA will give you nothing over QR and likely cause you more issues.

I have both on disc-braked "road" bikes and I'd choose QR every time given the option - no question.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • alan_sherman
    I think the QR option is going away with the UCI standard for 12mm thru axle on road bikes - most manufacturers are building to that.

Personally I'd prefer QR at the front because it means I can still use my 25 year old roof rack! Also QR at the rear for my turbo. Some bike maintenance stands use the QRs too.
  • meanredspider
    I think the QR option is going away with the UCI standard for 12mm thru axle on road bikes - most manufacturers are building to that.

That won't matter. You can always convert TA wheels to QR in the future should you need to.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prhymeate
    Lots of replies about TA and a more inconsequential feature on a bike I can't imagine. It's entirely up to you, OP, but TA will give you nothing over QR and likely cause you more issues.

I have both on disc-braked "road" bikes and I'd choose QR every time given the option - no question.

In what way would it cause more issues other than taking longer to change a puncture? I'm still learning the pros and cons. Maybe the PX London Road could be the one for me...I certainly like the price.
  • meanredspider
    Prhymeate wrote:

In what way would it cause more issues other than taking longer to change a puncture? I'm still learning the pros and cons. Maybe the PX London Road could be the one for me...I certainly like the price.

As above: TA won't work with many bike carriers, work stands and turbos. There is also no final standard - even sourcing a spare can be a challenge (if the GCN video on this topic is to be believed). In the other thread, Ugo cites the additional cost of hub bearings and so it goes on. And I've still yet to find any single clear advantage - not even the claim that it provides a stiffer fork (let alone proof that a stiffer fork is necessary which I honestly don't believe based upon my own extensive experience).

Don't get me wrong - none of the disadvantages are insurmountable. But with no tangible benefit that I've been able to find using both systems, no disadvantage is justifiable.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Apparently the shimano hydro brakes retract more than the SRAM ones so should have less disc rubbing issues.

I can well believe that, having both systems :evil:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • alan_sherman
    If you want a dynamo hub then I think QR gives better options at the moment.

SON are expensive, Seem to have a 12mm TA version of the narrower hub (less stiff wheel),
    Shutter precision are good, their TA seems to be 15mm,
    Shimano are cheaper, not seen a TA version yet.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    ...And I've still yet to find any single clear advantage...
    For the front, one advantage is that you don't have to deal with silly lawyer-lips.

For the rear, I've found that a TA makes it easier to get the wheel on and off; a QR sticks out quite far, and will often catch on the chain, then I end up with oily hands after freeing it. A TA hub will slip past every time.

An advantage at both ends is that the wheels are guaranteed to acheive the same alignment no matter what, whereas I find that QR wheels need the bike to be on the ground to ensure the axles are fully seated in the dropouts.

Generally, TAs are less fuss.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Genesis Vagabond - takes a bit to get it moving but when rolling holds it's speed, bit 'quirky', knobblies to slicks with massive tyres! won't get any kom's but really comfortable ride geared to get you up most things.

Waiting with baited breath for next summer to get the best bike out after a winter on board the vagabond for the 'placebo' effect to kick in.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • meanredspider
    Mr Evil wrote:
    ...And I've still yet to find any single clear advantage...
    For the front, one advantage is that you don't have to deal with silly lawyer-lips.

For the rear, I've found that a TA makes it easier to get the wheel on and off; a QR sticks out quite far, and will often catch on the chain, then I end up with oily hands after freeing it. A TA hub will slip past every time.

An advantage at both ends is that the wheels are guaranteed to acheive the same alignment no matter what, whereas I find that QR wheels need the bike to be on the ground to ensure the axles are fully seated in the dropouts.

Generally, TAs are less fuss.

I couldn't agree less with your last statement.

So at the front you have to do a bit of turning with QR .....and with TA......? Oh yes

At the rear, no turning with QR. And I've never put my bike on the ground to ensure alignment in the nearly 6 years I've had QR discs on a road bike.
  • From the photos on Evans website it looks like all of the Pinnacle Arkose and Dolomite 2017 range use thru axles on the front and QR on the rear. I wish they had made the front and rear consistent in terms of technology.
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    How do you get a full mudguard (SKS chromoplastic) fitted on the front fork of the Arkose 4 as there is no pre-drilled hole in the fork crown?
    Don't like compromises when it comes to winter bikes and 'guards...
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Semantik wrote:
    How do you get a full mudguard (SKS chromoplastic) fitted on the front fork of the Arkose 4 as there is no pre-drilled hole in the fork crown?

It looks like there is a vertical fixing under the crown for the front guard.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/pinnacle-arkose-four-fork-clearance.jpg?itok=gk9ciwpK
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    frisbee wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

It looks like there is a vertical fixing under the crown for the front guard.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/pinnacle-arkose-four-fork-clearance.jpg?itok=gk9ciwpK
    Thanks for that .hadn't spotted it.
  • It might be worth checking out this that Merlin have just put up:

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-axe ... 95581.html

I can't tell whether it is thru axle or QR but it ticks the rest of your boxes. Only downside is the weight which they laughably claim as lightweight :roll:
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

• prhymeate
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    It might be worth checking out this that Merlin have just put up:

I can't tell whether it is thru axle or QR but it ticks the rest of your boxes. Only downside is the weight which they laughably claim as lightweight :roll:

Cheers, that's another one I can add to my list of considerations. I've also been tempted in upping the budget a little after looking at the Ribble CR3 CX 105 Hydraulic Special Edition. I think through axles might be less of a necessity if running Shimano discs, also after looking at the shape of the RS505 hoods compared to the RS685 I think I'd get on a lot better with RS685's.

My issue with Ribble, unless I'm totally missing something, is that I'd like the Mavic Wheels and RS685 levers and calipers. However, when ordering the special edition which comes with RS685 levers and calipers you can't change the wheels (comes with Rodi Airline 5 Disc Wheelset) and when ordering the standard one which can be customised you don't get RS685 calipers, you get Avid BB5 Road Disc Brakes and can't change them.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    It might be worth checking out this that Merlin have just put up:

Cheers, that's another one I can add to my list of considerations. I've also been tempted in upping the budget a little after looking at the Ribble CR3 CX 105 Hydraulic Special Edition. I think through axles might be less of a necessity if running Shimano discs, also after looking at the shape of the RS505 hoods compared to the RS685 I think I'd get on a lot better with RS685's.

My issue with Ribble, unless I'm totally missing something, is that I'd like the Mavic Wheels and RS685 levers and calipers. However, when ordering the special edition which comes with RS685 levers and calipers you can't change the wheels (comes with Rodi Airline 5 Disc Wheelset) and when ordering the standard one which can be customised you don't get RS685 calipers, you get Avid BB5 Road Disc Brakes and can't change them.

Give them a call, they might well customise them for a sale (and changing wheels is not gonna cost them anything)
  • I also remembered seeing 2 new Ribble bikes at the Cycle Show that might fit your criteria as well. I think the CGR is available to purchase now but the Sportive Racing Disc isn't yet.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/ribble-2 ... -look.html

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cg ... l-edition/