Giant TCR vs Scott Addict

jedidiah
jedidiah Posts: 8
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
A quick question from a bit of a newbie,
I have a choice to buy one of two second hand bikes,

One is a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 2016 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... 956/90500/

The other is a Scott Addict Team Edition 2015 (though with 16 frame) e.g. https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-addic ... e-EV224242

They are both lightweight and I would just appreciate any advice on if there are any noticeable differences between them?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• jedidiah wrote:

They are both lightweight and I would just appreciate any advice on if there are any noticeable differences between them?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

One is black, the other is blue/ white/ red
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Thanks .. I assume that is a serious comment that there is not much practical difference!
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I have a 2015 tcr. Its the bestest thing I ever did buy.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    How much of a newbie are you? I'd suggest that either is overkill for a newbie.

Better to get a bike that you won't have to spend many hundreds of pounds to put right if you do something stupid.

Get something cheaper and make sure you actually want to pursue cycling as a hobby before dropping that sort of coin.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't know what kind of thing you would do that is "something stupid" that would cost you hundreds to fix. I assume you mean crashing? Taking that into account if you are racing is one thing, but I'd hope the vast majority who take up road cycling don't just fall off, ever.

OP, if you can get a deal on either of those s/h and the money is no problem to you, either would be a pretty damn good bit of kit that some people never get to be able to afford. Just make sure that whatever you are getting fits you. If you've already had road bikes you'll be able to work it out, if you haven't, don't go diving in with a purchase that you "think" will fit along the lines of "I always have bike in Large", that kind of logic is only ever good enough through a bit of luck and being a "good bet" nothing else.

As for either bike, doesn't matter, you might as well pick the one you like the look of the most if they both fit you perfectly.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I think the Addict is better looking, so that would be my choice.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Re the hundreds of pounds damage, unfortunately I speak from experience of when I was a newbie -
    - fixed a puncture by the side of the road, set off without spinning the chain to ensure it was in gear. Bent rear derailleur.
    - shifted front and back at same time, threw chain into spokes, wrote off rear wheel.
    - failure to carry out preventative maintenance, premature wear on components.
    - having no mechanic skills so paying through the nose to get LBS to fix it

I'm not saying these things will happen, but I think it's asking for trouble to send a new rider off with Dura Ace.
  • Thanks for the help guys. I have been cycling for 10 years but at a lower bike price point, so meant newbie in that sense. But yeah good to know that the bikes are similar in terms of performance.