sram rival rear derailleur

Jamesno1
Jamesno1 Posts: 10
edited October 2016 in Road general
Hi, first time poster here so bear with me please:-)

I've bought a new road bike that comes with sram rival22 groupset. I've noticed that the rear derailleur does not sit straight in line with the cassette ( looking from rear wheel to front wheel ) when its at the smaller cogs of the cassette. I've spoken to the retailer and they say its normal but its quite pronounced and I reckon it'll cause premature wear of sprockets and chain. If the cassette is straight ahead the derailleur looks toe'd in if that helps describe it better.

So, anyone have any experience of these? Is it ok or am I rightly concerned?

Comments

• Can you post a picture
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Jamesno1 wrote:

I've bought a new road bike that comes with sram rival22 groupset. I've noticed that the rear derailleur does not sit straight in line with the cassette ( looking from rear wheel to front wheel ) when its at the smaller cogs of the cassette. I've spoken to the retailer and they say its normal but its quite pronounced and I reckon it'll cause premature wear of sprockets and chain. If the cassette is straight ahead the derailleur looks toe'd in if that helps describe it better.

Does the chain run over the cassette properly and does it shift properly? If the answer is yes, just stop looking at the angle of the mech and go out for a ride instead.
  • Can you post a picture
    I'll sort a pic out later, thanks.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Jamesno1 wrote:

Does the chain run over the cassette properly and does it shift properly? If the answer is yes, just stop looking at the angle of the mech and go out for a ride instead.

That's all well and good till im replacing parts constantly. Its a new bike and as such id like it to be 100% fault free.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If it changes then its fine. I can't see how it causes extra wear. Its small fry compared to the forces you put on the chain to go forward and it copes OK with that.
  • Can anyone with specific knowledge / experience of sram derailleurs tell me if this is the case on your bike please?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have a SRAM derailleur - but I've not looked at it like that. Not sure why I would if it was working fine.

I'll have a look next time if I remember.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Jamesno1 wrote:
    Can anyone with specific knowledge / experience of sram derailleurs tell me if this is the case on your bike please?

I have SRAM on three bikes, but without knowing exactly what you are looking at, it's difficult to offer any useful comment other than what people have already told you - namely that if your bike is running fine, then there simply is no issue.
  • Edit: don't matter, I've taken the bike to have it checked. Thanks all
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If there is a problem it's likely the mech hanger and not the derailleur. As other have said if it runs smoothly and quietly and shifts fine then there is likely no issue :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I'd say mech hanger as well.