Weird punctures or what?

mac_man
mac_man Posts: 918
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Went out last Friday, came back home and everything seemed fine on the bike. Went to go out this morning and both tyres totally flat. I found a pinhole in the inner tube above one of the spoke screws, which suggests that's what popped the front tyre, yet the rim tape looks fine and I can't feel a screw head through the tape. The other tyre... can't find anything obvs and I checked the inside of both tyres for any thorns and suchlike, but nothing.

Weird how they both appear to have happened while I was off the bike, rather than hen riding, as when I tried pumping either of them up they went flat immediately, so definitely not a slow puncture. Anyone else experienced anything like this?
Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I had a squirrel bit through my tire once over night ... never did catch the fcuker, but have a nice 2.2 rifle now waiting for revenge
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    What?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mac_man
    fat daddy wrote:
    I had a squirrel bit through my tire once over night ... never did catch the fcuker, but have a nice 2.2 rifle now waiting for revenge

LOL... I've heard of snakebite punctures, but that's a new one. (Goes to check garage for squirrel droppings)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In my bike shed I walked in to find charcoal everywhere. I think a mouse/rat had eaten through one of those easy light bags and destroyed it.

Oddly they don't like the hard-to-light briquettes.
  • I came out of the pub once, and there was my bike gone!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I think it's clear your wife has sabotaged the bike, I'd suggest telling her the damage is non-repairable and you need a new bike.
  • mac_man
    I think it's clear your wife has sabotaged the bike, I'd suggest telling her the damage is non-repairable and you need a new bike.

Oh yes... I like that one. Good answer.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've had delayed reaction snakebites - ie I've let the tyres get a bit low pressure for a while and then pumped them back up and sometime later (possibly many days later), when the tubes are definitely at the right pressure, had a flat which turns out to be a snakebite. At least two or three times it has happened and always the tyre has gone flat when the bike was parked.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fat daddy
    I came out of the pub once, and there was my bike gone!

fcuking squirrels
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    mac man wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

LOL... I've heard of snakebite punctures, but that's a new one. (Goes to check garage for squirrel droppings)

Need new bike. It's been bit by a squirrel.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I've had a lot of snakes over the years and not one has ever bitten any of my tyres.
    I cannot say the same about my fingers though.
  • Very strange.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    This is an excellent thread for de-stressing :D

In reality you probably went over some small sharp stones just a few hundred metres from home. Especially on soft summer rubber they tend to get embedded in the tread and don't actually get to the inner tube at first but then pop out at some other random time.
  • fat daddy wrote:

Must be one big squirrel if you're using a 2.2
  • fat daddy
    firefly#26 wrote:

heh :oops:

Its because I cant log the kill on Strava and prove it, I naturally exaggerate by 10 fold the rifle becomes a 2.2 the shot goes from being 6m to 60m .... and it wasn't 1 squirrel it was 10 of them .... each one was 1m long weighing 80kg
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    firefly#26 wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Ha - yes, that would stop an elephant in a tank! :shock: :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I came out of the pub once, and there was my bike gone!

Did you check where you'd locked it?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    fat daddy wrote:

2.2 gun ? Is it one of these...
    ace72222.jpg

Maybe you mean .22
    :D
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've had delayed reaction snakebites - ie I've let the tyres get a bit low pressure for a while and then pumped them back up and sometime later (possibly many days later), when the tubes are definitely at the right pressure, had a flat which turns out to be a snakebite. At least two or three times it has happened and always the tyre has gone flat when the bike was parked.

I had that a few weeks ago but it was very dramatic. Hadn't ridden that bike in a couple of weeks, rode in thinking the tyres were a little soft, arrived at 9am, about 2:30 tyre tube exploded leaving a 2" tear and popping the tyre off the rim.

Gave everyone in the office a real fright.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mac man wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Well I've just had to evict a mouse from the garage. Noticed something had nibbled the corner off the dog food sack, so that went back in the plastic bin with the clip-on lid, but thought nothing more of it. Week later I was rifling through the drawers where I keep cycling spares to find in the bottom drawer a load of mouse sh1t, some shredded paper, and a small cache of dog food. So that's all been cleaned out, and I came out of the front door a couple of days ago to see the likely culprit hopping across the steps right in front of me. Very cute, very Beatrix Potter. But I made the mistake of calling my wife to come and see; now she's wanting me to set the mouse trap... :cry: