where's this spacer from? cassette probably?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Found a spacer which I must have accidentally left out at some point. Where's it supposed to go?… I have taken a photo but I can't see how to upload it now. Probably doesn't matter. It's silver metal, flat and smooth, outside diameter 39.5mm, inside diameter 35mm, 1mm thick. It's probably from the cassette but it could also be from the crank as I took that apart recently, NonDS.

Cassette is 10 speed Shimano 105 5700 on Mavic Aksium One wheel.
Cranks are Ultegra FC-6604 triple

It's a fairly new cassette so maybe it was a spacer which came with it but isn't needed? Not sure, can't remember. Any guesses/ideas? Thanks.

EDIT It's definitely from the cassette. I just remembered I bought two, so looked in the bag of the new one there's the same spacer. Should I have used it? If so where exactly? Thanks.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    it should go on the hub before you start putting the rings on, if its the one I think it will be.

But, if you were replacing a cassette already on there its possible you left the old spacer on, so its not needed ..... how are the gears working, are they changing ok.

I bought a cheap rs10 wheel the other day for the trainer, that came with its own 1mm spacer, meaning I didn't need the spacer that came with the cassette ... I now have a spare spacer
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you forget to put it on - your cassette will jingle.

At least mine did when I forgot....

Ahem..
  • ben-----
    edited October 2016
    fat daddy wrote:
    it should go on the hub before you start putting the rings on, if its the one I think it will be.

But, if you were replacing a cassette already on there its possible you left the old spacer on, so its not needed ..... how are the gears working, are they changing ok.

I bought a cheap rs10 wheel the other day for the trainer, that came with its own 1mm spacer, meaning I didn't need the spacer that came with the cassette ... I now have a spare spacer

There is a kind of spacer on the hub, the first thing on the hub (between the spokes and cassette), already. But it's different to the spacer I'm talking about. The one on there is shaped, has slight notches/bumps (I'm going from memory). More substantial.
  • ben-----
    Fenix wrote:
    If you forget to put it on - your cassette will jingle.

At least mine did when I forgot....

Ahem..

The cassette's not loose.
  • fat daddy
    is the spacer that's already there the same thickness though ? ..... in my mind when I bought the rs10 wheel it had a 1mm spacer on it, but that also had notches in it that located it on the hub ... the shimano spacer is 1mm but just a plain circle
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ben----- wrote:
    There is a kind of spacer on the hub, the first thing on the hub (between the spokes and cassette), already. But it's different to the spacer I'm talking about. The one on there is shaped, has slight notches/bumps (I'm going from memory). More substantial.

The one on the hub will be the 1.85mm spacer - this is supplied with the wheel and is needed for use with 8/9/10 speed cassettes. As you have fitted a 10 speed cassette you should use this PLUS the 1mm one you have omitted......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ben-----
    fat daddy wrote:
    is the spacer that's already there the same thickness though ? ..... in my mind when I bought the rs10 wheel it had a 1mm spacer on it, but that also had notches in it that located it on the hub ... the shimano spacer is 1mm but just a plain circle

No, I think the one that's already on there is quite a bit thicker. It must be including the bumps/notches which stick out.
  • ben-----
    Svetty wrote:
    ben----- wrote:

The one on the hub will be the 1.85mm spacer - this is supplied with the wheel and is needed for use with 8/9/10 speed cassettes. As you have fitted a 10 speed cassette you should use this PLUS the 1mm one you have omitted......

Oh. Between the cassette and the bumped spacer? The cassette isn't loose or anything though. Thanks.
  • fat daddy
    I am concerned now, I didn't use it on mine as I thought I would stick with the cassette (10sp cassette, 10-11sp hub) .... works fine though with out it ?????
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    as long as the cassette is snug and the chain /rd isn't touching the spokes in bottom gear it should be fine.
  • ben-----
    Slowbike wrote:
    as long as the cassette is snug and the chain /rd isn't touching the spokes in bottom gear it should be fine.

Cassette is snug and no RD nor chain contact with spokes. So all's fine I suppose. Maybe the spacer which was already on there, the bumped one, which I've left in place, makes that small thin one redundant. When I replaced the cassette I don't think it had a small thin spacer on (that's why I left it off I suppose), so presuming whoever put that on (it was a second hand bike and this is the first time I changed the cassette) knew what they were doing.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    the main issue will be if you've got spare wheels or swap wheels around with other bikes - then you need the cassettes to be in the same position each time - otherwise you'll have to tweak the RD indexing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As different hubs put the cassette in different places anyway, I fail to see the relevance to this thread?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ben----- wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Cassette is snug and no RD nor chain contact with spokes. So all's fine I suppose. Maybe the spacer which was already on there, the bumped one, which I've left in place, makes that small thin one redundant. When I replaced the cassette I don't think it had a small thin spacer on (that's why I left it off I suppose), so presuming whoever put that on (it was a second hand bike and this is the first time I changed the cassette) knew what they were doing.

No they had it wrong. The indexing probably works OK because it was adjusted to suit the incorrect cassette fitment. The spacers are intended to be used as I have already advised. :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ben-----
    Svetty wrote:
    No they had it wrong. The indexing probably works OK because it was adjusted to suit the incorrect cassette fitment. The spacers are intended to be used as I have already advised. :roll:

Thanks for correcting me there. I have now got both spacers on. Thanks.