Compressionless Brake outer and Cable Discs

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I have the great fortune to now own a Kinesis Grand Fondo Ti Disc Frameset.
Current budget limitations mean , I am going to initially set it up with TRP spyre Mechanical Disc Brakes.
Using the provided I/s mounts I ve got the calipers to marry up with the 160mm rotors, no Problem. ( In the future I ll go with Shimano flat mount hydraulic calipers which will sit on 140mm rotors with no adapters required. )

Still , on to current set up, My concerns are this.

I was going to use a compressionless outer such as Nokon/ Yokozuna for the brake cabling.
Both these systems benefit greater from the compressionless outers, The spiral and Lateral bond on the Yokozunas and the Individual alloy links of the Nokon.

The frame routing for the Rear brake, comes from the Lever/Bars , Enters the down tube , exits at the Bottom bracket, Re Enters the frame at the BB end of the Chainstay, and then exits the chainstay about 5 cm from the Post mount for the Brake.

There are sleeves provided ( By Kinesis) to help any runs that go around the Bottom Bracket shell.

My question is , If I don't ( Which I don't think I can ) run the whole cable in its outer , Through the frame and the Bottom Bracket, will I loose or negate any benefit from having a compressionless outer. Or should I just run it for as long as I can. ( missing section will be around the BB shell, where I will used the supplied sheeves from Kinesis)

So long story short, If the whole run doesn't have a full outer. surely I loose the advantage of the Compressionless outer.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,703
    If the outer is hard up against stops, which it should be, there is no need for it to be there other than cleanliness. An absent outer cannot compress. You still have compressionless where you need it so still have the advantage.
    Hope that makes sense, it does in my head.
  • tim_wand
    Yep, that makes sense! If it has nothng to push up against , then theres nothing to compress it.
    So the key is to make sure its hard in to all the entry and exit points in the frame.

Do you have any personal experience of using either of the two outers I mentioned and an opinion on which may be best/
  • Why not the jagwire which seems easier to live with?
    left the forum March 2023
  • tim_wand
    Up for any suggestions Ugo. Will take a look at the Jag Wire as well. Seems more readily available and better value.
    When funds allow I will most likely switch to Hydraulics, just waiting for prices to drop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd save the money for the hydro's and just get a decent conventional cable, my cable disc bike has been using them fine for 7 years.

Noting that nothing is compressionless, it's just relative. The frame is more compressionless (ahem) than any cable and you only have short runs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tim_wand
    I ll Certainly give it a go with conventional cables at first, sure it will feel fine, and as you say if I m " upgrading " down the line why spank the money now.
  • I bought some Goodridge outer only form CRC for a few pounds a metre and it's madfe a huge difference
  • tim_wand
    bugger hit PM instead of Reply. Sorry

Subject: Compressionless Brake outer and Cable Discs
    I bought some Goodridge outer only form CRC for a few pounds a metre and it's madfe a huge difference

Always got on well with their Hydraulic Hose stuff, Run it on my Hopes on Anthem MTB.
    I ll have a look on CRC for the conventional outer. I m keen to finish the build and CRC delivery times are fantastic. Swear I ve order before 1300 and got in next day, Ireland to Uk
  • Spyres can live happily with normal outer, but with the HyRD you definitively want the compressionless
    left the forum March 2023
  • tim_wand
    Picked the full Goodrich system up at great price off CRC . Should fit it tomorrow so will feed back thoughts.