Doesn't come with pedals. Is this normal and what would be a good set to consider?

paddywhacked
paddywhacked Posts: 36
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
The kind people at Evans have given me a good deal on a Mondraker Leader 27.5 2017 model.https://www.evanscycles.com/mondraker-l ... e-EV289529

Only after placing the order did I spot it does not come with pedals. Reminded me of the scene in Lock Stock "does it come with the amp" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54FWRKcSGCM.

Anyhoo, is this common practice when buying a new bike and any recommendations what I should fit?

Thank you. Paddy.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    yes because they would only be able to put rubbish pedals on with reflectors to comply with the law. bikes sold built up also have to have reflectors and a bell. even a 10k fancy carbon fibre bike will have reflectors in the box.
  • Yep, when buying a decent bike pedals are never included. Most people will have their own pedals or want clip ins so will buy the correct clip in pedals.

I would defo recommend nukeproof electron eco pedals, they are made of some kind of plastic but are really strong. Very light and tons of grips. You can also replace the studs if they ever wear down.
  • Oh also if you buy the bike through topcashbike then you get about 5% off which will pay for your pedals :)
  • Ahhh, right. Cheers.
    POAH wrote:
    yes because they would only be able to put rubbish pedals on with reflectors to comply with the law. bikes sold built up also have to have reflectors and a bell. even a 10k fancy carbon fibre bike will have reflectors in the box.
  • Cool, thanks for the reply.
    Yep, when buying a decent bike pedals are never included. Most people will have their own pedals or want clip ins so will buy the correct clip in pedals.

I would defo recommend nukeproof electron eco pedals, they are made of some kind of plastic but are really strong. Very light and tons of grips. You can also replace the studs if they ever wear down.
  • Normal not to get pedals with a bike. Are you after flats or spds?

I recently got some Wellgo MG1's and they're pretty good. Light as hey have a.magnesium body, they have sealed bearings, a concave body and plenty of pins. Think you can change them out for longer ones if needed.

If you have more budget then there are so many pedals out there - I liked the look of the new slim line DMR V12, but didn't want to spend that much money.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    If your after flat pedals then superstar nano-X are the main go to pedal for good value.

Depends on your budget as I'm using hope f20s and would recommend them.
  • Got a set of DMR V8's, £20. Seem like a decent bit of kit for small amount of money.

Appreciate all the advice. ^^^^^^
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Send me a PM if you're after a 2nd hand set of Nanos (latest version, black)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er