RS Monarch Blowing Through It's Travel

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All.

On my sons 2013 Nukeproof Mega Pro the rear RT3 shock is set up correct for sag around 25% but when riding it on DH tracks it seems to be bottoming out, the red ring being pushed off the shaft.

Is this a case of looking at volume spacers or is there anything else I should be looking at, I have tried increasing air pressure by 20 psi with no difference, he only weighs 5 stone.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does it feel wrong or bottom out harshly? I'm happy when my ring gets pushed off as I know I'm using all the available travel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iwilldoit
    cooldad wrote:
    Does it feel wrong or bottom out harshly? I'm happy when my ring gets pushed off as I know I'm using all the available travel.

No not harsh just not seen one do it on one of his bikes before, mind saying that he was doing the Henblas NPS track that the Borderline Midland Champs are on next weekend.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like there's something wrong with it. Spacers won't fix that. Are you measuring sag in full riding kit and with feet on pedals so full weight is on the bike?
    I used to run 30% sag on my Mega.
    How are you measuring sag?
  • iwilldoit
    Sounds like there's something wrong with it. Spacers won't fix that. Are you measuring sag in full riding kit and with feet on pedals so full weight is on the bike?
    I used to run 30% sag on my Mega.
    How are you measuring sag?

Yes full riding kit and yes it the riding stood up attack position.

As for measuring the sag with the sag markings on the shock.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Something is wrong with it then.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    iwilldoit wrote:

Yes full riding kit and yes it the riding stood up attack position.

As for measuring the sag with the sag markings on the shock.

measure it sitting down for the rear shock
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Is the red ring a good solid fit? I've seen ones where the ring is sufficiently loose that vibration forces it off, not just the travel.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Have you tried adding volume spacers to increase the progresivity, it helps incredibly in these cases. Try adding 2-3 spacers and you will see the big diference.
    You will also follow with the same sag and sensitivity.
  • Have you tried adding volume spacers to increase the progresivity, it helps incredibly in these cases. Try adding 2-3 spacers and you will see the big diference.
    You will also follow with the same sag and sensitivity.

Hi.

Thanks for the advise and yes been playing around with the red rings and it is better, my 12 year old is racing juvenile DH next year so we are trying to get it spot on over the winter for him.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Air shocks are rubbish for DH racing, especially for light riders.
    Sell the Monarch and get yourself a Fox Van RC coil shock.
    Be prepared for lots of expenses with downhill racing. Even at lower level it's expensive.
  • Air shocks are rubbish for DH racing, especially for light riders.
    Sell the Monarch and get yourself a Fox Van RC coil shock.
    Be prepared for lots of expenses with downhill racing. Even at lower level it's expensive.

Hi.

Do they do a spring light enough for a 5 stone rider, looked at them but not quite sure how the lb rating works on the springs.

Yes I know it's expensive, but hopefully it will all be worth it :shock:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    a lot depends on the bike. a high leverage ratio requires a stiffer spring than a low leverage ratio plus stroke has an effect.

with the mega and a 2.5 inch stroke shock you are looking at around a 150lb spring which I don't think you'll find in that size so better off sticking with an air shock for the time being.