Chain Jumping

bbking83
bbking83 Posts: 12
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I am having a bit of a problem with a new build at the moment. Building a bike on a second hand frame with all new Tiagra 4700 groupset.

When pedalling backwards the chain jumps, and when pedalling forwards it feels less than smooth, almost feels like it is grinding a little through the crank.

Done a little video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auy6KRNTfVQ

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    Need to see what's making it jump up. It sounds and looks like it's trying to grab the next cog and needs indexing or chain line is out. Does it do this when pedalling forward at all or just noisy?

Also, did you use a spacer if adding 4700 cassette to an 11 speed hub?
  • I'm sure the rear mech seems ok, it seems to be the chain hitting one of the teeth on the cassette.. :?
  • in that video i posted i had the chain on the small ring on the front and smallest on the back as an excample..

even when i have the chain on the big chainring on the front and the smallest cog on the cassette, with the chain running straight it still feels like it is grinding through the pedals.
  • chain looks like it's bouncing about too! :(
  • Sorted! It would seem I just made a school boy error! S

So moving from 9 speed Shimano to 10 speed it would seem i should have installed the chain the other way round with the writing facing out. DOH!! :oops: To be fair Ribble sent the chain in a plain OEM bag with no guide /packaging so easy to overlook!
  • chatlow
    bbking83 wrote:
    Sorted! It would seem I just made a school boy error! S

So moving from 9 speed Shimano to 10 speed it would seem i should have installed the chain the other way round with the writing facing out. DOH!! :oops: To be fair Ribble sent the chain in a plain OEM bag with no guide /packaging so easy to overlook!

Err, the writing should be facing OUT when looking at and installing a shimano 10s chain :?
  • well... This guy seemed to think so: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12882458

Plenty of other places have mentioned asymmetrical 10 speed chains too, had a look at the chain and right enough it is different if you flip it over. Tried it and it fixed the problem, now running noise free. :p
  • chatlow
    Ooops, I miss-read. Yup, writing facing out is correct unless you have a KMC chain and be either way round.

Glad you got it sorted - the easy fixes are the best :D
  • Easy fixes are indeed the best!