My first ride...

Fencehugger
Fencehugger Posts: 17
edited November 2016 in Road beginners
I bought a road bike over the weekend, so was itching to get out this morning. I'm over 50 and this was my first time in the saddle for many years and boy did I know it!
Whilst I'm quite pleased with my performance, I was riding a road bike and now I'm thinking a mtb might be more akin to me. I didn't feel confident going into a corner at speed and didn't realise (or forgot) just how a road bike picks up every bump in the road.
So on reflection, even though I enjoyed my ride, and I will be still going out for rides, a mountain bike is the way to go for me. As I said to my wife earlier, I'm built for comfort not speed!!
Here's my Strava data from this morning....
https://www.strava.com/activities/740214436

Comments

• The first time I tried a road bike (coming from mountain biking) I struggled with the cornering.

It'll come, just give it time.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You'll go much further and faster on a road bike.

As I've aged I've moved from MTB off-road to the same bike mainly on road, then at 50 to a proper road bike.

Fit the widest tyres the frame will take, and don't inflate them rock hard. Stick with it.
  • The first time I tried a road bike (coming from mountain biking) I struggled with the cornering.

It'll come, just give it time.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know confidence will come but with winter also approaching, I need to consider all my options.
  • keef66 wrote:
    You'll go much further and faster on a road bike.

As I've aged I've moved from MTB off-road to the same bike mainly on road, then at 50 to a proper road bike.

Fit the widest tyres the frame will take, and don't inflate them rock hard. Stick with it.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    To be honest, going further and faster is good but I'm just wanting to get fit, keep healthy and perhaps do the odd charity ride next year.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I am older than you and get out most days doing 30, 40 and 50 milers. I still see slight improvements in times and speeds etc so keep at it the improvements will come.
  • Stick with the road bike and give it a chance, you'll soon get used to it.
    They are great fun
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    Keep going and enjoy, don't worry about time, distance or speed for the moment. Just keep using it, you will at some point just click and it's a feeling that will last forever.
  • Bouncy suspension, fat knobbly tyres & sit-up riding position don't mean "comfortable". They mean slow, awkward, heavy, dispiriting hard work if you're riding on tarmac.

I'm a podgy fifty-something who spent years slogging around on MTBs bcause I thought I was too old, fat & slow for road bikes. After borrowing & fixing up a mate's old steel-frame road bike about 6 years ago I realised the error of my ways, and my MTB has sat in the garage ever since. I'm still old, fat & slow but feel great on the bike, love the lightness & agility, and compared to a mountain bike the ease & speed of riding a road bike is night and day.

If comfort's the problem, sort out your riding position (bike fit's probably a good idea) and wear the right clothes. Lycra may not look too good on some people - but it feels awesome, and good quality, properly padded shorts/tights are an absolute must.

You'll also be pleasantly surprised how quickly you get used to the way a road bike handles. Stick with it!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Shove a brooks saddle on it, will be like sitting on wood for a couple of weeks then miraculously turn into an armchair. As others have said, put the largest tyres your clearances will allow and drop the pressures a bit. The things they currently market as "gravel bikes" would be a better move than going to a full MTB.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Many thanks for all the feedback guys.
    I'll spend more time on my road bike before I make any rash decisions. I get all that about the riding position on a mtb etc but I can't help thinking it's the best way forward for me.
    Again, thanks everyone.
  • Hi. Please do not go the MTB route unless you do intend to go off-road. On Tarmac, It's the difference between driving a 4x4 (MTB) and a sports car (road bike). I am older than you and ride my bike regularly around country lanes, winter and summer, light and dark and all I am concerned about is going as fast as I can. As others have said, get some wider decent tyres, decent bib bottoms and get the bike set up and you'll soon get used to it.

Whenever I see people on MTB on the road now, I can't help thinking how hard work it looks for so little progress.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Try lowering your type pressures just a little bit.

Also what size tyres have you got? If you can get 28s on your bike try them. It could be a great investment to smooth out the ride.

Also what road bike have you got? There are all different frames and styles - some are a bit more aggressive than others.
  • myideal wrote:
    Try lowering your type pressures just a little bit.

Also what size tyres have you got? If you can get 28s on your bike try them. It could be a great investment to smooth out the ride.

Also what road bike have you got? There are all different frames and styles - some are a bit more aggressive than others.

At the moment they're 23s. This morning I'm going to have a ride via my local bike shop. Two questions for him, 1. Can I have larger tyres,28s? And 2, is the frame size right for me? It's a Carrera road bike size m. I'm 5'11" but feels weird when I'm out of the saddle. The guy I bought it off was my height and he said it was perfect for him, so I'll get some professional advice.
  • Can only echo what everyone else says. I'm 57 and aim to get out on my road bike every other day. There will come a day - as long as the bike fits you - when you get on the bike and realise that you feel not quite complete when you are off it. I had a bad riding year last year due to work (and then laziness...) and was much - much - slower when I started up again this year. In the last two months weight has dropped 14 lbs and speed has increased by 25%. There's more to come. It feels like flying.

As others have said, get the right gear - good bib shorts (big assos fan personally) good base layer and jersey, good bib tights.

Winter is a state of mind, honestly. Go out wearing one layer less than you think you need and you will feel perfectly dressed within 5 miles. And what you realise when you're trying to get out on the bike is that there are far fewer wet days in winter than you think...
    I was riding a road bike and now I'm thinking a mtb might be more akin to me. I didn't feel confident going into a corner at speed and didn't realise (or forgot) just how a road bike picks up every bump in the road.
    So on reflection, even though I enjoyed my ride, and I will be still going out for rides, a mountain bike is the way to go for me.

I felt the exact same way the 1st time I got on a road bike a few months ago ..... that feeling only lasts a couple of weeks before the ride and feel become the norm.

The real shock to the system is when you take the mountain bike back on the road again after getting used to the road bike and realising how bad an MTB is on the road, the upright position means your body is grabbing every bit of wind there is, the vague feeling between your tires and the road that you are not sure what you are riding on, the effort when you hit a hill ... or the flat .... or adown hill, so much quad pain just to reach 18mph .... so slow pulling away from lights ... and the gearing, where the hell did my big gears go, I keep spinning out

that said the super relaxed geometry of the MTB makes cornering awesome fun.

Stick with the road bike if you are riding on the road, its far more enjoyeable than lugging a noisy heavy knobbly thing about
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Realistically it will probably take 25s which will be a massive improvement. It could be the position of the seat and not just the height of the bike that is the issue. At 5,11 I would think 56cm frame or large would be the best option, but as people always say it's best to go smaller frame as you can always raise the seat.
  • UPDATE!
    This morning I had a ride to my local bike shop to pick his brains so that I could finally decide what direction I was going in. I'm keeping my road bike, I will be putting some 28s tyres on and I'll be tweaking my riding position as I thought the frame was a tad small. All in all, I'm so glad I sought professional advice and will look to do the Manchester to Blackpool cycle ride in 2017 as a challenge to aim for.
    Thank you to all who commented on my thread, it's inspiring to hear positive comments :)
  • Good call FH - keep us updated on progress!
    UPDATE!
    This morning I had a ride to my local bike shop to pick his brains so that I could finally decide what direction I was going in. I'm keeping my road bike, I will be putting some 28s tyres on and I'll be tweaking my riding position as I thought the frame was a tad small. All in all, I'm so glad I sought professional advice and will look to do the Manchester to Blackpool cycle ride in 2017 as a challenge to aim for.
    Thank you to all who commented on my thread, it's inspiring to hear positive comments :)

Glad you are sticking with it.

However, there are other things that can also get you more happier on the bike.

Being first time I've had terrible experience especially I came from years of mountain biking and riding on the road is sure very different.

I was too naive and inexperienced and followed wrong "expert" advises.

First thing that went wrong was I bought a racer bike instead of what they classify as endurance bikes. First bike was Canyon immediately I changed racing drop bars to mtb bars. I changed bike since then now that I know what I like.

Then the v brakes are just totally retarded (Ultegra) but nothing else was available then. Now I have Di2 hydraulic discs and the hydraulic disc brakes will definitely give you the confidence in braking and less hand strain especially riding in the city.

Then the switch to tubeless and 28inch at 60 psi it is a god send. Makes road so much smoother.

Also try suspension carbon seat tube. I am currently using Canyon VCLS 2.0 and it is very good.

I also have suspension road seat Mogaw and I love it.

Also get a good pair of cycling tights with good padding.

Of course all the above mentioned will make your riding on the road that extra plush and comfort and enjoyment. However, you need time to get used to the road as well.

I have seen some guys with mtb bikes commuting route and nothing is wrong with that but now I definitly think road is the way to ride on the road. It is different experience and one you will get to like or love over time once you get fitter and faster.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Stick with it ..it will come in the end..
  • hsiaolc wrote:
    UPDATE!

Glad you are sticking with it.

However, there are other things that can also get you more happier on the bike.

Being first time I've had terrible experience especially I came from years of mountain biking and riding on the road is sure very different.

I was too naive and inexperienced and followed wrong "expert" advises.

First thing that went wrong was I bought a racer bike instead of what they classify as endurance bikes. First bike was Canyon immediately I changed racing drop bars to mtb bars. I changed bike since then now that I know what I like.

Then the v brakes are just totally retarded (Ultegra) but nothing else was available then. Now I have Di2 hydraulic discs and the hydraulic disc brakes will definitely give you the confidence in braking and less hand strain especially riding in the city.

Then the switch to tubeless and 28inch at 60 psi it is a god send. Makes road so much smoother.

Also try suspension carbon seat tube. I am currently using Canyon VCLS 2.0 and it is very good.

I also have suspension road seat Mogaw and I love it.

Also get a good pair of cycling tights with good padding.

Of course all the above mentioned will make your riding on the road that extra plush and comfort and enjoyment. However, you need time to get used to the road as well.

I have seen some guys with mtb bikes commuting route and nothing is wrong with that but now I definitly think road is the way to ride on the road. It is different experience and one you will get to like or love over time once you get fitter and faster.

Many thanks for that, some great tips and ideas. It'll be a work in progress that's for sure over the next few weeks as I start to make adjustments to the bike as well as building up the miles.
    I will try to update my progress as and when I can :)
  • Little update:
    Everything is going well. I got rid of my first bike, went to my local bike shop and after a long but helpful chat I bought a bike off them. Now that I've ridden it a few times it was like driving a mini and now driving a sports car, the difference was quite something. I've just ordered my first set of clipless pedals, so that'll be fun I guess and hoping to pass my first 20 mile barrier today!
    All in all, I'm loving it!
  • Well done, keep at it.
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    Great news pal glad you stuck with it, I made the change and now love my road bike
  • I've just ordered my first set of clipless pedals, so that'll be fun I guess

Just remember that 0mph falls are not uncommon and they usually happen at the most inopportune moment (just as the object of your affections spots and recognises you, next to a bus stop full of schoolchildren, etc...) :mrgreen:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    do you live near a good mtb circuit \ track - if you do then fine MTB probably will work out fine.

if you have to lug all stuff on car and drive there that gets real bind. in my experience I live around 30 miles from an MTB track - thats 45 minutes drive - say a 90 minute cycle then 45 back..

Road bike I m out - and around 20 minutes later im crusing down the lanes. i d just keep pootling over winter come spring you will have probably got the hang of the handling - then its just the fitness !!!

im fan of brooks saddles for comfort - but don't think its a saddle for beginners...