Orange Crush S 2016 or 2017?

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I thought I had my heart set on a full suss, but my head is spinning with which one. I don't really need it so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Orange Crush S. Looks like a weapon :)

My question is, which would you buy? The 2016 or the 2017?

Colour doesn't bother me. I am trying to track a 2016 down with the Pike 140 RCT3, but have noticed the 2017 comes with the Yari RC Boost 150mm!

Which would you go for? The extra travel is not really needed I suppose?

Any help would be great.

Cheers Guys!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    2017 is a crazy price for the spec. 2016 on sale is almost reasonable.

I'd buy a BIrd.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • simey83
    cooldad wrote:
    2017 is a crazy price for the spec. 2016 on sale is almost reasonable.

I'd buy a BIrd.
    They do seem a bit crazy on the money. I'll check out bird! Cheers
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I'd buy a bird if you were wanting a hardtail.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Bird
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I like orange but no way to justify the price
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • simey83
    If you had to choose between a 2014 trance sx or a zesty am 427 (with a pike rct 3 fork) which would you go for? Got a decent price for both!! Ah my head is up my ass :)

Cheers
  • Would be the Trance sx for me
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    I really like the Crush and the Bird hardtail but I'm not seeing much difference in value really once you factor in a half decent cash discount on the Orange.

For instance the Bird with a standard slx build and dropper is gonna come out around £1650? Which is prob more than your get the crush pro for and the fork is better on the Orange?

Am I missing something? Are the wheels and finishing kit etc so much better in the bird at the same price?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Burd or Trance (Not SX)
  • simey83
    OJS wrote:
    I really like the Crush and the Bird hardtail but I'm not seeing much difference in value really once you factor in a half decent cash discount on the Orange.

For instance the Bird with a standard slx build and dropper is gonna come out around £1650? Which is prob more than your get the crush pro for and the fork is better on the Orange?

Am I missing something? Are the wheels and finishing kit etc so much better in the bird at the same price?
    Yea, I noticed once I built a half decent bird it was coming up over 1600£!
  • simey83
    Burd or Trance (Not SX)
    Why not the SX? :)
  • simey83
    Would be the Trance sx for me
    :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    simey83 wrote:
    Burd or Trance (Not SX)
    Why not the SX? :)

I rode the SX and standard 27.5 Trance when they first came out. I thought that the standard model cornered a lot better and felt more stable. The SX felt like it flopped in to corners and just didn't feel quite right.
    The Trance doesn't need a big fork up front, although a 35mm stanchion 140mm fork would be ideal.
  • Trance (and I own a Zesty - albeit a 29er)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)