Bottle Holder Bolt

SAS1
SAS1 Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I have foolishly begun to screw the bottle holder bolt it an angle when I was in a rush on my Specialized Allez, so that it now advances half a CM then gets stuck.
I realise that this isn't strictly a bike question, but can anyone advise on whether I can fix it so the bottle holder is still usable?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    remove the bolt, if it won't turn, try penetrating oil on the thread, freezer spray on the bolt may also work (shield the mounting boss/frame, have the allen key already in and apply torque as you freeze the bolt)

use a new bolt and, carefully, screw it in straight to clean up the thread in the boss
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • SAS1
    sungod wrote:
    remove the bolt, if it won't turn, try penetrating oil on the thread, freezer spray on the bolt may also work (shield the mounting boss/frame, have the allen key already in and apply torque as you freeze the bolt)

use a new bolt and, carefully, screw it in straight to clean up the thread in the boss

Thank you for the reply! the bolt will come out okay - were the penetrating oil and freezer spray just for if it would not?
    I have tried with the same bolt from a friends bike and it also gets stuck - so I just need to buy a new one and force it through at the right angle to re align?
    I apologise for my ignorance - this is all above my head
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If a fresh bolt still won't go in straight, you may have to run the correct sized tap in there to clean up the threads. Something a bike shop should be able to do in a couple of minuted I'd have thought.

If it's really knackered they should also be able to drill out and replace the rivnut...
  • keef66 wrote:
    If a fresh bolt still won't go in straight, you may have to run the correct sized tap in there to clean up the threads. Something a bike shop should be able to do in a couple of minuted I'd have thought.

If it's really knackered they should also be able to drill out and replace the rivnut...

If you haven't got a tap try filing a flat groove in the end of the bolt then screw it in, this should be enough to clean out any damaged threads.
  • SAS1
    Thank you all, I'll try filing the flat groove and if that doesn't work just take it in
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just re-tap it: a tap only costs a couple of pounds and is actually quite a handy thing to have in case this happens again, you get a bike sprayed and you need to clear the threads, etc etc.

My new Ridley TT bike needed the threads tapping just to clear them straight out of the box.

5 minute job.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.