1-by upgrade

veagnox
veagnox Posts: 77
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Hi everyone. I want to ask some questions about conversation from 3x9 to 1x9. I have Shimano FC-M430 chainset and want to remove all chaingins to install RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring. Here are my questions:

1) Some people told me that "in 1x10 anad 1x11 builds no need for chain guide because of the Narrow Wide design, but if you want to use it on 1x9 build, you will need chain guide, because in 9-speed chain, spacing is big so chain can drop". Is this true? Anyone tested RaceFace Narrow Wide on 1x9 without chain guide?

2) When I searched about Narrow Wide model and clutch mechanism, 50% of the people were saying "it not works properly withot clutch mechanism" and other 50% said "it works clear without cluch mechanism also". My rear derailleur doesn't have clutch mechanism so I want to know if someone tested Narrow Wide in RD without CM.

Waiting for your reply, thanks for attention

Comments

• It may well depend on your type of riding but I have ran both 1x9 and 1x10 with no chain guide and a clutchless rear mech, and not dropped a chain so far

I have now sold the bike which was 1x9, but the 1x10 is a HT with clutchless SLX 10 speed rear mech and at been 1x for about 18 months.

Typical riding is rooty natural single track and xc

If you are set on going 1x then give it a try, and if you experience dropped chain then you know the potential solution
  • veagnox
    It may well depend on your type of riding but I have ran both 1x9 and 1x10 with no chain guide and a clutchless rear mech, and not dropped a chain so far

I have now sold the bike which was 1x9, but the 1x10 is a HT with clutchless SLX 10 speed rear mech and at been 1x for about 18 months.

Typical riding is rooty natural single track and xc

If you are set on going 1x then give it a try, and if you experience dropped chain then you know the potential solution

Hi and thanks for reply. I will change rear system to 10 speed SLX after 3 months but my order for NarrowWide will come after 6-7 days. My bike is also XC HT, and I don't do jumps or anything special. So you say it never droppen on your 1x9. Hope mine does the same :)
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    A NW ring will work just fine on a 9spd chain
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • veagnox
    Herdwick wrote:
    A NW ring will work just fine on a 9spd chain

Hi and thanks for reply. Thanks for writing down your opinion =)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ran mine for 18 months on an NW with no clutch mech as 1x9 and for 3 months now 1x10 without a damper in the mech and on an NW, XC/Trail/Trail centre, number of dropped chains=0.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.