Shimano front mech bottom pull profiles

thelonegroover
thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently converted a 3x9 mountain bike into a road/commuter bike. I moved all the gears and brakes to a new frame. However, the gap between the seat tube and rear tyre is very close so the front mech only just clears my 700 x 32 tyres. I'd like to know which bottom pull Shimano 3x9 front mech has the slimmest profile at this point, in case I want to go to 700x35 tyres.
Planet X Kaffenback 2
Giant Trance X2
Genesis High Latitude 2x10
Planet X n2a
Genesis Core 20

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you using a low mount or high mount mech? Sounds like a low mount and you need a high mount, better quality mechs with solid clamp bands will be slimmer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • This is a picture of a similar mech and clamp...

http://www.shimano.com/content/sac-bike ... 671-b.html

Bottom pull, down swing
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You won't get much slimmer that that.

As long as there is clearance you don't need any more - a miss is as good as a mile!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think i might try a Tiagra 4703-b or 105 5703-b, they seem to have a much slimmer design.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20