Which Garmin

davegriffiths
davegriffiths Posts: 102
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Slightly bamboozled by the choice of Garmins ,can anyone recommend .I dont need connections to phones etc as thats why I ride a bike to get away from the dam things but would like to use maps as a sat nav ,record training runs and upload to Strava
May fit a powermeter in the future

Thanks Dave

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Most Garmins will record rides/upload to Strava etc but you'll need a Garmin 800/810/820 if you want Maps etc.
    Not sure if you can connect a PM to the 800 though.
    I've just gone from the 800 to 820 and can recommend both.
  • Go for the 820
  • 820 - friends got one and has pretty much all the functionality of my edge 1000 but in a more compact package
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Check your local Aldi first, this is a good buy; https://www.aldi.co.uk/garmin-edge-810/ ... 3081458200
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    I've got Garmin Edge 800 which I picked up second hand on the cheap (£70). I wanted visible maps and turn by turn guidance as well as a decent sized screen and something that wouldn't break the bank. It does have the option of connecting a power meter via ANT+. The only niggle I have is that you have to physically connect to your computer to upload rides to garmin connect/strava. You can do this via your phone on the newer models which would be less time consuming. But I'll stick with what I've got... For now
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    820, it's very nice
  • OP, do you do any other sports at all?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I've had the 705. Moved to the Bryton Rider 60 - never again.

Now back to Garmin with the 1000. Absolutely no regrets, despite the cost.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Garmin Edge 200 is for sale, £50.43, are they any good ?

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/rcuks-be ... ls-13.html
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Garmin Edge 200 is for sale, £50.43, are they any good?
    Yes. Basic but good.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had the 705. Moved to the Bryton Rider 60 - never again.

Now back to Garmin with the 1000. Absolutely no regrets, despite the cost.

Got mine from Ribble...spot on deal and free postage :D
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Garmin Edge 200 is for sale, £50.43, are they any good ?

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/rcuks-be ... ls-13.html

I ran one for ages on my mtb. Only upgraded to the 510 because of 1 second polling (auto is useless on trails for Strava) and the bluetooth uploads to avoid plugging it into the laptop.

If all you want is to record rides it does it perfectly. Never put a foot wrong.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    If you go for the 820 (or anything else, I guess) look up the instructions on DC Rainmaker (US guy based in Paris who trials all sorts of gizmo's). The Garmin manual is next to useless.
  • Slightly bamboozled by the choice of Garmins ,can anyone recommend .I dont need connections to phones etc as thats why I ride a bike to get away from the dam things but would like to use maps as a sat nav ,record training runs and upload to Strava

Thanks Dave

Wahoo ELEMNT is better than any of the Garmins except perhaps the Garmin Edge 1000.
  • .I dont need connections to phones etc as thats why I ride a bike to get away from the dam things but would like to use maps as a sat nav ,record training runs and upload to Strava

The connection to the phone is the easiest way to upload to Strava. You don't have to have notifications switched on.

I've got an 820 and it does the job nicely.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Slightly bamboozled by the choice of Garmins ,can anyone recommend .I dont need connections to phones etc as thats why I ride a bike to get away from the dam things but would like to use maps as a sat nav ,record training runs and upload to Strava

Thanks Dave

Wahoo ELEMNT is better than any of the Garmins except perhaps the Garmin Edge 1000.

That's a subjective opinion rather than an objective one. Just because you rate Wahoo devices over Garmin ones doesn't make your statement factual or correct. Personally, I've been happy with a Garmin 705, an 810 and currently an 820. Each device was only changed because of the advantages its replacement brought. Wahoo and Garmin are as guilty as each other with their firmware issues and in treating the end user as the testbed.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    You can get an Edge 1000 for the same or less money than the 820 at the moment - I've got a 1000 which works well, but it is quite big. I bought an 820 with a view to selling the 1000, but I've returned it after 2 months - the touchscreen was a nightmare - hypersensitive or frigid - and the elevation never worked. Both are faults acknowledged by Garmin but with no fix in sight. I've had an 800 (poor), 810 (complete rubbish) and a 520 (ok but way too many button pushes required for navigation). I tried an Elemnt, but the side buttons were vague and hard to press, but the interface is great. The 1000 has worked without any issues at all and the TBT works very well. If you just want training data, I'd suggest the 520, if you want decent mapping, the 1000.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Garmin 1000 is nearly 3 years old so Garmin have NEARLY finished it. It's been a few months since mine last failed.

Garmin are shocking at this. I have their BC30 reversing camera on my car Sat Nav and it both interferes with the FM radio and messes up the receipt of traffic info. Garmin have been "dealing" with my issue for 3 months. Only today they suggested a hard reset might fix it. That's grasping at straws for you...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH