Full suss around £1000??

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Probably get these every 5 mins but my head is spinning. I'm after a decent second hand full susser for around a grand. Can go up a bit if needed. Right now I've me eye on the following, which are in budget from certain places;

Vitus Sommet 1 2013
Vitus Sommet VR 2015
Boardman FS Pro 2016

I like that Pike on the boardman but the sommet 1 seems to be a better all round bike. I want it for mainly trail riding and maybe some heavier stuff if I get the confidence up.

Or any other options would be great.

As always, your input is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Giant Trance is what most people recommend at around £1000
  • simey83
    JGTR wrote:
    Giant Trance is what most people recommend at around £1000
    Thanks very much mate. Had a few Giant road bikes in the past and loved them. I'll have a look at those. Cheers.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just be aware the money spent on the suspension means a comprimise somewhere else. Another alternative might be a 27.5+ hardtail. Depending on where you ride you might find that an alternative.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • willmtb
    willmtb Posts: 69
    Hi,
    I think it's MBR magazine online have a few articles on full suspension at around £1000. The best one according in their opinion is the calibre bossnut (go outdoors) which with a discount card is under £1000. Other two options would be Boardman Team FS and the Voodoo Zobop both these bikes from Halfords which gives them brilllaint value. The giant is decent however the other two bikes are potentially better. Another option is the Cannondale cujo 2 which is a 27.5+ hardtail which will have better components so potentially a better buy.
  • simey83
    Just be aware the money spent on the suspension means a comprimise somewhere else. Another alternative might be a 27.5+ hardtail. Depending on where you ride you might find that an alternative.
    yea I know I can get a better specced HT. Always had hard tails and love them. Probably don't really need a FS. Just thought it was the way to go. Any ideas what I should be looking for in a HT? Love the likes of Cotic and Stanton, custom builds. :)
  • simey83
    willmtb wrote:
    Hi,
    I think it's MBR magazine online have a few articles on full suspension at around £1000. The best one according in their opinion is the calibre bossnut (go outdoors) which with a discount card is under £1000. Other two options would be Boardman Team FS and the Voodoo Zobop both these bikes from Halfords which gives them brilllaint value. The giant is decent however the other two bikes are potentially better. Another option is the Cannondale cujo 2 which is a 27.5+ hardtail which will have better components so potentially a better buy.
    Cheers man. Hoping to buy second hand, to get more for me doe :)
  • None. Go for the calibre bossnut. Amazing reviews and good spec.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Aware it doesn't add much to the query but can certainly vouch for the Boardman. Had it a few months now and v pleased with the ride both XC and flowing DH. Suspension feels sweet, drivetrain + brakes great and frame is very nicely finished. Solid vfm imo. But then i suppose I've not even seen the Vitus bikes so can only compare to my previous bike which was.......a Boardman.
  • simey83
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Aware it doesn't add much to the query but can certainly vouch for the Boardman. Had it a few months now and v pleased with the ride both XC and flowing DH. Suspension feels sweet, drivetrain + brakes great and frame is very nicely finished. Solid vfm imo. But then i suppose I've not even seen the Vitus bikes so can only compare to my previous bike which was.......a Boardman.
    Thanks mate :)
  • simey83
    None. Go for the calibre bossnut. Amazing reviews and good spec.
    :)
  • simey83
    The orange crush s looks really tasty. Anyone own one?

Cheers