Campagnolo Brake Pad Query - Help Needed Please!

cij28
cij28 Posts: 1,272
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I have a pair of Campagnolo skeleton brakes which came with carbon specific pads which I don't need.

Issue is all of my other campy brakes have the spring clip to retain the pad as in all groupsets are current 2015.

These are clearly older style with Allen screw in the pad holder to retain the pad.

I need to know which pads to order as online states that all brakes after 2000 are BR-RE700 and pre 2000 BR-RE600.

I have some of the RE700 pads but they don't seem to have any holes to accept the Allen screw?

Can someone let me know which pads I need please?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Looking at Wiggle, it appears Veloce and another Campag lower end non-groupset brakeset use Shimano-style holders with pads having a hole into which the Allen screw fits. On the Q&A section, Wiggle says they use Shimano-style pads such as their Lifeline brand.
  • This can be a confusing area, because Campagnolo have changed several things in quick succession.

Pad fittings were changed in 2012 to make the swapping in and out of pads faster - so the old "interference fit" pads were replaced with pads retained by a spring clip. 2013 saw some changes to pad materials for carbon rims, so those parts changed number. Then, 2015, new brakes were introduced at the entry level which required new pad numbers again, as pad material for alloy rims changed and the Shamal Mille / Fulcrum Nite wheels were also introduced with dedicated pads to suit.

So, 2015 Campagnolo groups use two pad formats.

High-end brakes which secure the pads with a spring clip use BR-SR500 pads for Campagnolo alloy rums, or BR-BO500 for Campagnolo carbon rims or BR-PEO500 for the PEO-treated rims used on Shamal Mille and Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite.

BR-BO500x pads are supplied with carbon wheels from the Campagnolo and Fulcrum ranges which will fit into Shimano brakes and also into current Campagnolo entry-level brakes (see below) which use the "industry standard" (for which read "Shimano-esque") brake pad holders.

Older brakes that don't use the spring clip need BR-RE700 for alloy or BR-RE701 for carbon, with BR-RE701x to suit industry-standard brake shoes.

Corresponding pre-2015 pads carrying different part numbers are different materials - Campagnolo generally only change a part number of a compatible part when there is a material change - if there is a technical difference and no compatibility has been tested then the original parts are retained, bearing their original part numbers, for some years (3+) after the end of production of the associated components.

2015 entry level brakes, labelled either "Potenza" (in the case of those supplied with the new Potenza group) or simply "Campagnolo" in the case of those supplied with the Veloce and Athena Triple groups (and in 2015 / early 16, with Athena double groups, now discontinued) are supplied with industry standard holders and pads suited to Campagnolo alloy wheels.

The part number for these pads and holders which are supplied together and are what the OP needs is either BR-VL040S or BR-VL040B, depending on whether the holders required are silver (S) or black (B).

Online bike stores don't necessarily have 100% reliable information ... the best thing to do is to check against the spare parts listings at http://www.campagnolo.com under "Support" and "Documentation", or to contact us at Velotech Cycling Ltd, the main Factory-Appointed Campagnolo UK Technical and Service Centre.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    cij28 wrote:
    I have a pair of Campagnolo skeleton brakes which came with carbon specific pads which I don't need.

Issue is all of my other campy brakes have the spring clip to retain the pad as in all groupsets are current 2015.

These are clearly older style with Allen screw in the pad holder to retain the pad.

I need to know which pads to order as online states that all brakes after 2000 are BR-RE700 and pre 2000 BR-RE600.

I have some of the RE700 pads but they don't seem to have any holes to accept the Allen screw?

Can someone let me know which pads I need please?

Thanks

Dave

Personally, I leave the screw out, because they are in an area prone to corrosion and usually are a pig to remove once corroded. The action of braking forces the pad into the shoe in any case.