Layering question - windproof jersey

tenohfive
tenohfive Posts: 152
edited October 2016 in Commuting general
I'm on the hunt for a bit of a goldilocks layer.

I'm new to commuting and recently picked up a dhb ASV Race Roubaix Windslam Jersey (rolls off the tongue, right?)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-race-ro ... ve-jersey/

It's great. Love it. During the chilly morning commutes it's been perfect worn against the skin - completely locks the wind out, shrugs off light moisture, breathes well enough when working hard (and for some reason raising my head an inch when in the drops allows a brief flow of air down the front of the neck)...I really rate it. In the mornings.
When I'm returning home several hours later when it's 10 degrees warmer it's just a bit too warm right now. I feel the cold so it's not unbearable, and as we lose the last of summer I can see it being my go to layer. But not right now.

My idea now is to get something similar - a long sleeve wind resistant jersey - that's similarly effective in resisting the weather but has a bit less insulation. I can then wear it with a base layer in the mornings, but chuck the base layer in a rear pocket on the ride home. Bonus points for being able to chuck it under my Mistral when it's colder.
So far I'm struggling to see anything that's in a similar price bracket (or appear to be similarly warm to the Windslam.) Galibier (who I like) do the Le Coucher/Gino which do tick the boxes. A bit 70's wallpaper in the photo's but probably look better in person.

Anything else I should consider? Or am I approaching it the wrong way - should I look at a lightweight shell which I can layer with SS jersey and warm warmers?

Still relatively new to this so I'd appreciate the benefit of a few others autumn/winter experiences.

ETA: Just spotted the Gore Oxygen Windstopper jersey in budget. Look like a worth rival to the Galibier offerings mentioned above?

Comments

• The Parentini Mossa is both wind-proof and water-proof. It works by holding a certain amount of sweat within the garment to keep you warm. I find it cold for the first 5 minutes, and then I'm toasty for the next 3 hours, even in pouring rain. Perfect against the skin for me in slightly warmer weather. But it is expensive.
    http://road.cc/content/review/140863-parentini-mossa-jersey
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/2015/12/29/parentini-mossa-slaying-the-gabba/
    https://parentinitestteam.com/2015/03/11/the-mossa/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Very light windproof gilet like dhb do over the top in the morning and then a cheaper non windproof long sleeve for the ride home? Everyone should have a gilet. Packs down to almost nothing.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I think you can overdo it with different combos of jerseys, layers etc. I have one thickish roubaix LS jersey for Spring/Autumn (looks similar to your DHB) which I combine with either a lightweight LS base layer for current morning temps and I'll change to a merino base layer once it gets a few degrees colder down to about 3-4 degrees (lower than that and the soft-shell jacket will come out).

Riding home at the moment it's a lightweight LS base layer and SS jersey.

We're all different though!
  • tenohfive
    Mossa looks lovely but waaaay out of budget.

I do have a windproof gilet but just don't find myself reaching for it that often.

And I want some weather resistance in my outer layer both ways; my commute is long enough that if the weather forecast is out by a bit and I get a quick shower - or some sustained drizzle - I'll still have the breeze and the worst of the moisture off me - I run colder than most people. I'd rather be a touch too warm than suffering with the cold. I do see your point about over complicating things though Godders; I'll have a think on that.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I don't own any long sleeve jerseys anymore, but I own a lot of arm warmers, for this very scenario. I run warm, so although I might be cold getting the bike out of the garage 15 minutes later I'm hot. Arm warmers will come off and go in the jersey pockets.

Short sleeved jersey with weather resistant arm warmers and a weather resistant gillet gets me through most of the winter. I'll wear a base layer or a thicker soft shell gillet if it gets really cold.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jords
    jords Posts: 7
    I got a Sportful Fiandre NoRain Top http://sssto.re/HFGNNP a few weeks ago. Seems perfect for me at this time of year 5-15 degrees. It is a little bit chilly to begin with on the cold mornings, but that means I don't get too hot later on.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    cougie wrote:
    Very light windproof gilet like dhb do over the top in the morning and then a cheaper non windproof long sleeve for the ride home? Everyone should have a gilet. Packs down to almost nothing.

I think I'm about to have to do this after getting very cold this morning in little fog/frost hollows - I've been riding with SS top & armwarmers & a LS compression base layer for a week, and today really bit hard - didn't warm up until 20 mins in as my ride is mostly downhill to start.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • tenohfive
    Managed to pick up that Gore top for £44 from Amazon (Warehouse Deals.) At that money decided it was worth a punt.

I've got an RST gilet but it just feels cheap - and has a huge mesh back. I should probably look at a decent gilet that I might actually wear - any recommendations?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    tenohfive wrote:
    Managed to pick up that Gore top for £44 from Amazon (Warehouse Deals.) At that money decided it was worth a punt.

I've got an RST gilet but it just feels cheap - and has a huge mesh back. I should probably look at a decent gilet that I might actually wear - any recommendations?

What's your budget?

Probably the best gilet you can get is the Castelli Fawesome. I've been using mine for around 4 years and I rarely reach for anything else when then temps are above freezing. They are around £60 at the moment.

If that's too much then look at Sportful (who are Castelli's sister company). They do the Reflex 2 for less than £30.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX