Allez vs caad8 vs Trek 1.5 help please

Jackm2100
Jackm2100 Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I am looking to buy my first road bike after increasingly cycling on roads with my hybrid trek. My budget is around the £400 mark and I would prefer to buy used (maybe a bike that retailed a few years ago for £800-£1000). I have shortlisted the Trek 1.5, Specialized Allez Elite or Sport and the Cannondale Caad8. As ever I am swayed with groupset so would prefer a tiagra or 105 set.

Are these good bikes?
Are there any better/similar that I should be looking at?
Am I right in prioritising groupset (is there much difference between say sora and tiagra)?
I ride around 50-100 miles a month, I am 6ft 1 (58 frame),

Also is brand new sora better than 5 year old tiagra groupset?

Cheers, any advice much appreciated

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You are taking the right approach. I had a Trek 1.5 and did thousands of miles on it. The only upgrade I did was to fit better brakes and tyres but apart from that it was a good bike just like the others you mention. It was the one below

http://archive.trekbikes.com/uk/en/2013 ... ct/details

This bike or newer can be picked up second hand for £200-£300 in good condition and I would not want to buy a bike that is any older. Just make sure the bike is either barely ridden / in as new condition or well maintained without any signs of abuse. If you are unsure just walk away.
  • Thanks for the advice. Yes the 1.5 does look good and most I have looked at are a few years old with just scratches.
  • I bought a CAAD8 this year. I too am 6'1" and thought I would need a 58, but ended up with a better fit on a 56. Bloke in the shop said that Cannondale geometry comes up on the larger side.
  • That's interesting to hear, would you recommend the caad8?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    My experience was similar to Kajjal but for Trek read Specialized Allez Elite (2015 model). New brakes (Ultegra 6800) and tyres (Continental GP 4 Seasons) were all it needed to make a fantastic bike. I still have it but it' s now got mudguards on for wet weather use. See here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13040738&p=19753701&hilit=Mudguards+Specialized+Allez+elite#p19753835
    We all have our own preferences and if you are buying 2nd hand, I suspect that your choice might be dictated by what's available but if you do have a choice, all other things being equal, going for the one that looks best to you is as good as anything. For what it's worth, I'm 6'1"and a bit and the Allez in 56cm is spot on for me.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I can't comment on the Allez or Caad, but I've had a few Trek's in my time.

If you budget can stretch another £50-£100 you can pick up a pretty clean Trek 2.1/2.3 in fleabay if your patient with 10 or 11 speed.