Shimano DI2 electronic cable length

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I am recently building up my new bike.

Frame Kinesis GF Ti Disc with Ultegra DI2 with seatpost battery and I have ordered everything except the Frame (waiting for C2work certificate) and also the Di2 electronic cables.

Reason is because I don't know what length to acquire. Anyone can help me what length cable I need for the front and rear?

So I persume I need cable from Shifter to the junction box and then to the downtube to the battery and to the FD and from the Batter to the RD?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    It might be cheaper if you bought the Di2 groupset (or Di2 upgrade kit) as a whole,as it will come with all cables,junction boxes,battery and charger.

The cable lengths below are included and will fit a small to large frame. If you have a bigger frame you should buy a longer downtube wire.

2 x Shifter e-tube wires (350mm each) EW-SD50 - for 42,44cm bars. If you have 46cm bars get longer.
    1 Downtube e-tube wire (1000mm) EW-SD50
    1 Battery e-tube wire (450mm) EW-SD50
    1 Front derailleur e-tube wire (300mm) EW-SD50
    1 Rear derailleur e-tube wire (600mm) EW-SD50

Di2 plug tool - To insert and remove the wires

Ultegra 6870 or DA9070 Di2 Shifters
    Ultegra 6870 or DA9070 Di2 Front derailleur
    Ultegra 6870 or DA9070 Di2 Rear derailleur
    3 or 5 port junction Box A - SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B (fits on the stem)
    Junction box B - SM-JC41 (fits inside the bottom bracket/frame)
    Internal Battery - SM-BTR2
    Battery charger - SM-BCR2 - This doubles as a pc interface to customize settings,and update the firmware. And can only be used with an internal battery.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Either use the geometry guide for the frame to see what length the various tubes are or use a tape measure when the frame arrives. As long as your di2 wires are 'long enough' it doesn't really matter as you can hide any excess in the frame. I just used a tape measure, added the various 'loops' outside the frame to the tube length measured roughly that the wire was going into and added a bit extra on, this seemed to work fine. The only exception was the shifters to A Junction which need to be fairly accurate as you don't want excess there. The required length depends on bar width, shifter position on the bar (to a much lesser extent) and position of your junction box on the stem. I did get this one wrong first go and changed the two wires for shorter ones by return.

PP
  • hsiaolc
    trailflow wrote:
    It might be cheaper if you bought the Di2 groupset (or Di2 upgrade kit) as a whole,as it will come with all cables,junction boxes,battery and charger.

The cable lengths below are included and will fit a small to large frame. If you have a bigger frame you should buy a longer downtube wire.

2 x Shifter e-tube wires (350mm each) EW-SD50 - for 42,44cm bars. If you have 46cm bars get longer.
    1 Downtube e-tube wire (1000mm) EW-SD50
    1 Battery e-tube wire (450mm) EW-SD50
    1 Front derailleur e-tube wire (300mm) EW-SD50
    1 Rear derailleur e-tube wire (600mm) EW-SD50

Di2 plug tool - To insert and remove the wires

Ultegra 6870 or DA9070 Di2 Shifters
    Ultegra 6870 or DA9070 Di2 Front derailleur
    Ultegra 6870 or DA9070 Di2 Rear derailleur
    3 or 5 port junction Box A - SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B (fits on the stem)
    Junction box B - SM-JC41 (fits inside the bottom bracket/frame)
    Internal Battery - SM-BTR2
    Battery charger - SM-BCR2 - This doubles as a pc interface to customize settings,and update the firmware. And can only be used with an internal battery.

Thank you. I think I will just do the string method. I will do that when I get the frame.

I bought Di2 pieces here and there because I didn't find the groupset that I wanted.
  • hsiaolc
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Either use the geometry guide for the frame to see what length the various tubes are or use a tape measure when the frame arrives. As long as your di2 wires are 'long enough' it doesn't really matter as you can hide any excess in the frame. I just used a tape measure, added the various 'loops' outside the frame to the tube length measured roughly that the wire was going into and added a bit extra on, this seemed to work fine. The only exception was the shifters to A Junction which need to be fairly accurate as you don't want excess there. The required length depends on bar width, shifter position on the bar (to a much lesser extent) and position of your junction box on the stem. I did get this one wrong first go and changed the two wires for shorter ones by return.

PP

Thank you very much.