CX tyres and tubes

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi, I'm looking at getting some tyres for cx bike, fairly new to cx and not bothered about racing though I did have a go once last November. Most of my cx riding is hard packed tracks mixed with road bits. Might throw in the odd event like monster miles and maybe the odd race for a laugh. Quite fancy some Challenge chicanes, will these do the job ok? Tyres are 700x33 so what would be the right tubes to get with them?
Looking at cx riding as alternative to road riding in the winter mainly.
Steve.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The Chicane is a racing tyre, it'll not last long if used on road. I use a Schwalbe CX Comp for all my general non CX racing on/off road riding, cheap and robust.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I am also using CX comps for general riding, although they are a bit low volume for my liking (only 30mm wide0 and I think I actually prefer the wider Land Cruisers on harder surfaces.

For racing I like Mud2s and PDX but they wear very quickly and pick up punctures too easily for a general use tyre.
  • Cheers Dan, great advice. What size tubes do I need for the 35's? Sorry to be thick.
    steve.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I use Conti Cross 28 tubes, these do 32-45C tyres. Cheaper alternatives may be available but I need the removable valve cores for use with valve extenders on my wheels.
  • Cheers guys.
  • Cheers guys.