Seized Seatpost

James2016
James2016 Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in The workshop
I have an old (bought in 1998) Raleigh Explorer Bike that I want to resurrect for winter cycling so I can keep my Road Bike for better conditions. Last year the seatpost on the explorer became seized and try as I might I can't remove it. Believe it is an aluminium seatpost and the frame is Reynolds steel. I have tried penetrating oil, banging, twisting, heating and cooling and the thing still won't budge. I addition there is a little bit of bubbling to the paint on the down tube. Can anyone advise of any ways to get the seatpost out or is it beyond economical repair and should I bite the bullet and dump the Bike.

Comments

• I had this happen to my Peugeot 531 frame in the mid 1990s. What worked for me was...

Turn bike upside down
    Pour a can of coke into through the hole by the bottom bracket, into the seat tube
    Leave bike for ~24 hours
    Turn bike right way up
    Sharp strike or two with hammer onto a piece of wood placed over saddle
    Seat post goes further in, but is now free
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Household ammonia cleaner dissolves aluminium oxide, it got my sons seatpost out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for guidance so far, will give those a try
  • After a number of days soaking and spraying with different liquids (coke, kitchen cleaner, WD40) and lots of banging with a big mallet. Sprayed some window cleaner on it today, hit it with the mallet and the bloody thing started to move, another 15mins of banging and I finally got the post out, yippee, such a relief as it had been stuck for at least 18months. Can finally now start to recommision the bike as and when I have the funds. Once again thanks for the advice, it worked.
  • Hi, same problem but different materials. I have a carbon fibre post into a felt 75 frame which is stuck. Any thoughts on the best way to get it moving?