Heat shrink Nokon cables

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on this? Anyone done it? Any tips/advice?

(http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/09/ ... oss_194008)

Like this guy.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    adds weight and ugliness

i've run nokon for years, all weather riding (not cx), never felt any need to sleeve it

as shown on the page you link, the ends aren't sealed, so over time i'd think dust/grit will get washed in with no way to get it out unless you remove the sleeving

with 'bare' nokon, if necessary you can reduce cable tension then hose it clean, put a little dry lube on if it starts creaking

btw instead of using nokon's supplied liner, i find the powercordz liner much better, lower friction and less prone to kinking
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I'm not too concerned with the minimal weight addition or the looks. I have heard the Nokons can creak once they get mud/dirty/grime etc.. in between the 'pearls' and, given the (ridiculous) expense I wanted to avoid this for as long as possible.

Thanks for the PowerCordz tip, I'll have to leave it for now but maybe when I come round to replacing the cables I'll bear that in mind.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Been running Nokons since 2004 on one bike - never touched them since. Also have them on one of my CX bikes - gets a good wash now and again but that's it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    joey54321 wrote:
    ...I have heard the Nokons can creak once they get mud/dirty/grime etc.. in between the 'pearls' and, given the (ridiculous) expense I wanted to avoid this for as long as possible...

it's really not an issue

as above, just wash the bike every so often

fwiw i simply hose it down after any wet dirty ride, or if it's dry and dusty you can apply a bit of dry lube, once a year is enough for this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny