Surrey into Victoria London - route advice

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited October 2016 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

I've just started commuting into Victoria in London from Guildford, Surrey, via train/folding bike 4 days a week and riding all the way once a week.

I'm looking for help finding a more pleasant/cycle friendly route out of the busiest part of London - from Victoria to Richmond Park. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the route, which I've done hundreds of times in the past.

Yesterday, I came in over Putney Bridge, the A308/Kings Road to Sloane Square, then A3217 to Victoria.

I'm not really bothered about having to mingle with traffic. But the mix of stop-start traffic, busses, taxis, random boris-bikers, zebra crossings (every 100 yards) and pedestrians crossing the road on their phones is just a bit too much. Plus the inevitable heavy pollution.

Any suggestions for less hectic and safer gratefully received, even if it means riding a bit further.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You might be better coming down onto Embankment and then either up Royal Hospital Road or continuing to Vauxhall Bridge and turning up Vauxhall Bridge Road.

There isn't much you can do to avoid New Kings Road, but Kings Road is terrible and I've always done my best not to us it. Embankment has always been longer, but quicker and safer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    You could use Chelsea Bridge as an alternative

From Roehampton gate go right at the first roundabout (avoiding Priory Lane) up to Putney Heath, then down the A3 into Wandsworth round the death trap one way system. At Wandsworth Bridge pick up the Blue paint to Halfords / heliport. bear left through the narrow roads to Battersea Park - go through Battersea park and start to chill out a bit, then left over Chelsea bridge and right up Ebury Bridge Road.

But I used to use the Kings Road.

Link here which uses a cycle route to avoid the worst of the Wandsworth One Way:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Daneb ... 03!3e1!4e1
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Perfect - thank you! Exactly the kind of local road knowledge I was looking to tap into. Cheers!