Cube Cross Race Pro vs Focus Mares AL

ilovegadgets
ilovegadgets Posts: 47
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
Thinking about getting a CX for a little bit of CX and forest/mixed trail riding. Narrowed down to two, the Cube Cross Race Pro 2017 (1199) and the Focus Mares AL 105 2017 (1399). Besides the price difference, any input or views on the two? Both pretty similar specs, Focus maybe a bit lighter with the triple butted frame, full carbon fork....

Comments

• MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    I have last years Cube, its quite weighty and now looking to lighten it somewhat. Not sure on the Focus as never got a chance to see one. What i will say Cube is not that great for carrying in a cross race, due to weight and the shape of the top tube. However spec wise last year it was hydraulic 105, think this year they have gone done 1 x 11 grpset ??

I reckon a change of wheels would make a difference to the Cube. However the Fulcrums on mine are pretty bomb proof.
  • it's this one, it has the non-series 46/36 chainset and 105 hydro bnrakes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod154531
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Spec wise theres not too much difference between most of the £1.2k-1.5k offered by the big manufacturers. Go and have a sit on them and see which one you like best. The Focus is slightly longer and the front end slightly lower, only you can tell if you prefer this. Also worth looking at Cannondale CADX and Giant TCX.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    Some small changes over last years model but the same none the less. It's no lightweight as you can see 10.2kg but if not racing don't worry, I suppose I keep comparing to my svelte road bike at 7.5kg which is unfair !

Edit I was getting also confused with the next model up which is Force CX1 , I recall for 2017! You should really be comparing the focus with that as it's similar money .