Complete service checklist and guide?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 754
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi, I've not ridden my bike in 3 years. It's still dirty from the last time i rode it :oops: I want to start riding again. Yes, it's a stupid time to make this decision with winter coming but I think I should go for it nevertheless.

I would like to completely service/overhaul my bike. Can anyone point me to a checklist and guide for doing this?

Thanks,
Dub.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Dubcat wrote:
    Hi, I've not ridden my bike in 3 years. It's still dirty from the last time i rode it :oops: I want to start riding again. Yes, it's a stupid time to make this decision with winter coming but I think I should go for it nevertheless.

I would like to completely service/overhaul my bike. Can anyone point me to a checklist and guide for doing this?

Thanks,
    Dub.
    If you haven't ridden or cleaned it in 3 years, I would suggest that you take it to an LBS (local bike shop) for a service if you don't know where to start yourself.
  • dubcat
    I'd like to learn. If I can at least get a checklist I can then go look up how to do the things at places like Sheldon Brown etc.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If it was ok before you parked it up, then it's probably good to go. Assuming everything still works, then it won't need a full service/overhaul. Check tyre pressures, lube the chain and go for a ride.
  • dubcat
    OK - might do that. It was fine when i put it away.

I'd like to learn how to adjust gears etc - but if you don't think it would need a full overhaul I can just pick that up as i go. Need to get some new tyres - one's that don't puncture all the time this time round!
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • ForumNewbie
    Dubcat wrote:
    OK - might do that. It was fine when i put it away.

I'd like to learn how to adjust gears etc - but if you don't think it would need a full overhaul I can just pick that up as i go. Need to get some new tyres - one's that don't puncture all the time this time round!
    I'd be surprised if both tyres are not flat, so will need to be pumped up. I would check all nuts are tight as well for safety and check brakes are working. Once you have cleaned and lubed chain, check gears are working smoothly. If they aren't there are lots of info and videos online about how to index gears.

If wanting new tyres that don't puncture often, I would recommend Continental Gatorskins as I have them on two bikes.
  • dubcat
    Thanks. I will look at the gatorskins. I had also been looking at the gp4000 4 season tyre.

I'm wondering what size will fit - they come in 25 and 28. if the 28's fit I'd go for them.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Check out GCN on youtube, plenty of top tips and service guides there ;)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Dubcat wrote:
    Thanks. I will look at the gatorskins. I had also been looking at the gp4000 4 season tyre.

I'm wondering what size will fit - they come in 25 and 28. if the 28's fit I'd go for them.
    It's only my opinion but if it comes to a choice between 4 Seasons and Gatorskins I would take the 4 Seasons every time. OK, they might be a bit less puncture resistant but their road handling and comfort are way ahead. Of course, other tyres are available (use the search!) and some of them are even considered to be superior to the 4 Seasons. Sorry, can't comment on what size for your bike but I use 25s on both my road bikes and find them better all round than 23s.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ForumNewbie
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:

It's only my opinion but if it comes to a choice between 4 Seasons and Gatorskins I would take the 4 Seasons every time. OK, they might be a bit less puncture resistant but their road handling and comfort are way ahead. Of course, other tyres are available (use the search!) and some of them are even considered to be superior to the 4 Seasons. Sorry, can't comment on what size for your bike but I use 25s on both my road bikes and find them better all round than 23s.
    I'm going to try 4 seasons myself soon on my better bike, but I have always found gatorskins to be comfortable and are a good bit cheaper. I would steer clear of Schwalbe Marathons - although they are very puncture resistant I found them far too heavy when I tried them.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:

I'm going to try 4 seasons myself soon on my better bike, but I have always found gatorskins to be comfortable and are a good bit cheaper. I would steer clear of Schwalbe Marathons - although they are very puncture resistant I found them far too heavy when I tried them.
    It would be interesting to know how you get on with the 4 Seasons after being used to Gatorskins. Having used them for a number of years, I changed from the former to the latter when I needed new tyres but very quickly wrote off the money spent on the Gatorskins to go back to 4 Seasons - I left the Gators hanging in the shed in case of emergency but it would need to be an extreme one before they get used again! As to their cost, 4 Seasons (and, indeed, most tyres) are as cheap as chips when you spread the cost over the miles that you will get out of them. IMHO, tyres and brakes are the two areas that should never, ever, be skimped on.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I have just jumped ship from Gatorskins to 4 seasons having used Gators for the last two winters, the difference is quite remarkable in my opinion. They may well be less puncture resistant but I would take that risk every time for the benefits in terms of comfort and rolling resistance etc.

I hesitate to use words such as 'huge' to describe the difference as people will likely disagree, but the bike does feel very, very different.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    " As to their cost, 4 Seasons (and, indeed, most tyres) are as cheap as chips"

I'm not sure where you are buying your chips. I'm on my second set of 4 Seasons and I like them, but I'll be going for the Michelin Pro4 Endurance next because they are quite a bit cheaper. The Contis are now stupidly expensive.
  • ayjaycee
    keef66 wrote:
    " As to their cost, 4 Seasons (and, indeed, most tyres) are as cheap as chips"

I'm not sure where you are buying your chips. I'm on my second set of 4 Seasons and I like them, but I'll be going for the Michelin Pro4 Endurance next because they are quite a bit cheaper. The Contis are now stupidly expensive.

Keef, You missed out the end of that sentence in the quote and I stand by my original view - spread over the life of the tyre, the costs are negligible (IMHO). Also, as I said earlier, I do not believe in skimping on tyres.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • dubcat
    I'm not so fussed about the cost as the tyres last quite long typically. Just need to decide on 25 or 28 - not sure 28 will fit.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Why not buy a 28, remove very carefully from the packaging, fit it and see if it fouls anywhere? If it does, package it back up carfully and return it.

PP
  • dubcat
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Why not buy a 28, remove very carefully from the packaging, fit it and see if it fouls anywhere? If it does, package it back up carfully and return it.

PP

I guess I could but I'm so clumsy and the 'very carefully' part of your suggestion could be a problem.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You are a very honest person! :mrgreen:

PP
  • dubcat
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    You are a very honest person! :mrgreen:

PP

The trail of destruction I have left behind me means at some point I had to move on from being deluded ....
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well my move away from GP 4 Seasons may prove to be a temporary thing. Picked up a sidewall cut in the front Pro 4 SC yesterday. The rear got sliced on it's second outing. Both in the dry, so it's not a winter thing and quite disappointing.

Never had anything like that with any of the GP 4 Seasons i've had over 9 years.

So the cost of a tyre is only relatively small in terms of pence per mile if you get thousands of miles riding from them. The rear Pro 4 SC cost me about 50 pence a mile, and now can't be safely ridden despite my repair attempts! The smaller cut on the front is looking OK ATM with it's tyre boot.