Giant carbon seatpost - saddle slipping

Wily-Quixote
Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
An appeal to the hive mind. I have a seatpost where it is very difficult to tighten the saddle clamp sufficiently to prevent the saddle from changing angle when I hit bumps.
It is also very, very, very difficult to adjust as the clamp sticks when trying to alter the clamp angle back to horizontal.
Basically a shit design.
I had a steel railed saddle and I fixed both problems by Lubing the clamp internals and tightening it infernally tight.
I now have a carbon railed saddle and have cleaned out the saddle internals ready for installation- my problem is that I am limited with clamping force that I can apply with the seatpost. What's the best so.ution?
I thought about loctite but it sounds a bit final if I need to make a micro adjustment.
My next thought was ( after an internet search) automotive silicone rtv paste, which sounds easier to 'break' than loctite. I am dubious about smearing silicone around my seatpost clamp though.
Next thought was carbon paste ( which I intend to get for the saddle rails) but will this be effective on the aluminium internals of my post.
I could just get a Thomson elite but I quite like the flexy carbon post- plus I'm a tightarse.

Any ideas to limit movement? The 'stickiness' I can live with once I have set the saddle to its desired angle.

Cheers,
Wily

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strip it down, clean with alcohol, use some gripper paste, yes you can't just loosen and adjust as the cones with jam in place once done up tight enough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ta, worked a treat.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a similar design post and had the similar issues, glad to be able to pass on the learning.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.