Road Disc Winter Wheelset

Pouts
Pouts Posts: 34
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello-

Looking for some advice on a set of winter wheels for my Mason Definition. It currently has 40mm Carbon Clinchers with Hope Pro 4 Hubs which I had handbuilt for me. Want to put these away for the winter so looking for advice on a winter set.

Go handbuilt again or any recommendations for a sturdy set of factory wheels.

I am 6'2" and 100KGs so need something that will stand up to my size!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    My winter bike runs XT hubs and h plus son rims, no problems so far...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Velocity aileron's serve me well. I have the 24 spoke rims with CX-rays and novatec hubs. me + bike is 100kg.

Ryde have the DP speed and the DP comp. I have not built these up yet so I cant comment. they are offset drilled which I like.

The H plus Son Hydra is a good rim. Very pretty and wide. The grey looks great with shimano CX-75 hubs.

Dt Swiss have the R460 DB rims. cheap and reliable. DT also have the RR511 which deep and wide.

Stans have the grail. Never tried this but it looks fine on paper.

the best rims however are offset drilled. Kinlin do the XR22RTS and the XR31RTS. These are very good rims and not pricey either.

While Hope hubs are nice and made in the U.K I prefer Miche hubs. there is the SWR and syntium DX but they are not widely available. I get mine direct from Miche as I buy there kit in OEM quantities.

For you I would suggest the Velocity Aileron, H plus Son Hydra, DT Swiss RR511 or the R460 or the Kinlin rims build with Sapim or DT swiss triple butted spokes (I use sapim force) and the Shimano CX-75 hubs, DT Swiss 350, Hope perhaps or Miche hubs. with triple butted spokes 28 spoke count will be enough. Better if you get an offset drilled rim.

Essentially all the rims I have tried have been good ones. I have left out the PAcenti SL25 as I dont think it that great compared to the other rims on the market and the SL25 is a discontinued rim now. A new rim is due later this year.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Why do you need a winter set of wheels on a disc brake bike? What are you hoping to achieve?

With discs the only part of your wheel that is subjected to accelerated wear in the winter are possibly bearings.

In my experience hope hubs have stood up best to winter rides (MTB), plus the bearings are easy to change, so I'd say you already have ideal hubs.

You could replace 5 sets of bearings at the cost of one factory wheelset, plus you get to ride your nice wheels.
  • Why do you need a winter set of wheels on a disc brake bike? What are you hoping to achieve?

With discs the only part of your wheel that is subjected to accelerated wear in the winter are possibly bearings.

In my experience hope hubs have stood up best to winter rides (MTB), plus the bearings are easy to change, so I'd say you already have ideal hubs.

You could replace 5 sets of bearings at the cost of one factory wheelset, plus you get to ride your nice wheels.

This.
    Just change the tyres to something marginally bigger and a lot more robust
    left the forum March 2023
  • Are you just planning on riding on the road? Then as above, if you're planning on riding some fire roads etc in the winter then maybe carbon rims might be a bit more rsiky/costly to replace than alu rims.

Don't mason do some pretty nice disc wheels?
  • Tenderloin wrote:
    Are you just planning on riding on the road? Then as above, if you're planning on riding some fire roads etc in the winter then maybe carbon rims might be a bit more rsiky/costly to replace than alu rims.

Don't mason do some pretty nice disc wheels?

Hunt make the wheels in collaboration with Mason.

The MasonXHunt 4 season is an excellent wheelset to be ridden all year. 1585g as well make it a great choice.

I'm running Hunt Disc Aero Lights and plan to run these through winter with more robust tyre.

I just change cassette, chainset and chain for winter.

The reason for me having discs and Di2 was to have an all year round bike.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Stans have the grail. Never tried this but it looks fine on paper.

FYI Malcolm I have Stans Grail rims which came as standard on my GT Grade. Both rims have developed rattles due to the pinned rim joint and I have had the tyres off a couple of times for each wheel and punched the join to stop the rattle. It has just come back on the rear wheel for a third time. I wouldn't recommend Stans Grail rims to anyone.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    maybe to avoid the risk of riding through a puddle only to find a hole that cracks an expensive wheel. Having more than one set of wheels especially if you only have one bike i not a bad idea. Not essential either but useful.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.