What would you buy and why?!

Daniel248
Daniel248 Posts: 3
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

New to the forum, and I'm in a dilemma. I have been riding since 2013, however I have never been too involved in spec and bike tech, as such. Only when I bought my bike in 2013 (Rockhopper Pro 29er), so my knowledge is fairly out of date. Lol

I'm now on the market for a full suspension bike and I just cannot determine which one to buy. I have narrowed it down to two, however if you know of any better please shed some light. The two bike sales in question are:

1) Giant Advance Trance 1 2017
Or
2) Scott Genius 710 2017.

OR would you recommend me something else?
I am NOT into downhill, I prefer really technical, quite fast paced trails. If I was at a downhill park I would probably be on an easy run definatly not black!!

My budget is around the £4.5k mark. By all means, I am no pro at riding and I know this is a lot of money to spend on a bike, hence why I'm so set on getting a good bike for the price I'm going to be paying.

ANY help is appreciated, thank you so much in advanced!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help, not many people will have ridden both 2017 models.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Neither. I'd go for the Transition Scout carbon.
    The alloy framed Scout was the best trail bike I've ever ridden so the same but lighter is going to be even better.
    Out of the two you mentioned, the Trance. Great frame decent value and a standard rear shock. The Transition is better though.
  • Sorry, I would of added the links but I didn't know how this forum would react to me adding other websites to it. But here goes

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-geniu ... e-EV286138

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Trance-Ad ... wodZnUBEw#

The transition looks quite nice, up where would I pick one up from in the uk?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Transition bikes are bit overprices so getting a 2016 bike would be a better buy or consider a whyte T130 or a Bird Aeris 120.

You might find those bikes you listed overkill
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Another vote for the T130, if you can find one, but one. I've had my 2017 T130C RS for about a month know and am loving it so far. It would run rings around the genius pretty much everywhere and while I haven't ridden a trance for about 5 yearsthe Whyte gets rave reviews from magazines and owners a like.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Trance gets my vote.
    Do you really want/need a carbon frame? If not there are great deals on 2016 Trances on Paul's Cycles. e.g. the Trance 1 is reduced to £2,600.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Transition have a few dealers around the country.
    The carbon Scout is a new model for 2017. They are expensive compared to some brands but still better value than brands like Santa Cruz or Intense but equally good.