11 speed hubs and cassettes, how to tell?

xtreem
xtreem Posts: 2,965
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm finding it difficult to find "proper" material on differences between 10 speed and 11 speed compatible hub?

I have a NS Bikes Rotary Cassette 2016 rear hub that says:
9/10 speed compatible*
- *11speed freewheel body (SRAM XD-compatible) available separately as an upgrade
Ok, no XD drive here.

At CRC, the Q&A at the Shimano XT M8000 says no problem from 9/10 to 11, but CRC stuff for the hub says:
No, the NS rotary hubs are 8/9/10sp compatible as standard, but not 11sp.
that's more than 1 year old answer (no compatible 11 speed cassettes then?)

But if I can stick a 10 speed cassette why can't I stick a 11 one from Shimano?
Also what google finds is some old articles or discussions, that some say no, and some yes you can go from 10 to 11.

What puzzles me more is that I can barely find an information on the SRAM's PG-1130 cassette, about compatibility, except the simple: "Compatible with non XD™ driver body" (no sh!t sherlock)

So before I splash 270€ on a NX groupset, I would like to be sure that I can fit the PG-1130 on the Rotary hub.
And you don't wanna hear my story with NS bikes.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With MTBs we have two cassette body standards (well more, but I am not going to include 6 and 7 speed stuff):

- SRAM XD: this is only compatible with XD cassettes that utilise a spline, coupled with a small external threaded section

- 8/9/10/11: these are 'standard' freehubs that will all accept 8/9/10/11 speed MTB cassettes that are non XD ie all Shimano MTB cassettes and the SRAM NX cassette (which is the PG1130). You can even fit 7 speed cassettes too with a 4.5mm spacer.

So yes, the Rotor hub with a '8/9/10' speed body will accept the 1130 cassette.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    11 speed MTB cassettes fit on a 8/9/10 speed shimano style freehub. If you look at the freehub on the XT M8000 hub and the older 10 speed M785 hub they are both the same length. The M785 hub will accept an 11 speed MTB cassette because the big sprocket is dished inward towards the spokes. 11 speed road bodies are longer because the big sprocket on shimano/sram road cassettes is not dished inwards.

On campagnolo road cassettes the big sprocket is dished inward toward the spokes on the 10 and 11 speed bosies because campag have had the same body since the 9 speed days and have kept it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    11 speed MTB cassettes fit on a 8/9/10 speed shimano style freehub..

Really ? .... I am "refreshing" a 1997 Klein that has a 3x8 stx rc setup, including a fc mc38 rear hub ..... using this, I can swap the groupset out to a 1x11 without changing the rear hub ?

Then again, if it didn't fit I guess I could just go buy a new rear wheel
  • xtreem
    Ahh I see now, only when you know where to look, where they've placed the 11-th cog.

s-l1600.jpg

Meanwhile I found this great article but it's a bit old, and I'm curious:
    Many of you have heard that the new 2013 Dura Ace 9000 is going to 11-speed. You may have also heard that it requires yet another – newer – freehub. The splines are the same short style as the 9/10 freehub, but the total length of the freehub is longer by 1.85mm (to accommodate the additional cog). This means that if you have an old wheel with a 9/10 freehub, you cannot use it with an 11-speed cassette.
    In a stroke of either luck or genius, Mavic wheels are already 11-speed compatible. Their wheels always included a 1.75mm Mavic spacer, because their freehub is extra long (by 1.75mm).
    Are the "new" mtb freehubs longer by 1.85mm, or that applies only to the road ones? Curent freehubs remain the same lenght except for Mavic ones that are already longer and you still have to use the 1.75mm spacer for the dished cassettes for 11 speed?

[Edit]
    I'm waiting for an answer from NS Bikes and CRC on the hub with the 11 speed compatibility, will post their reply if there will be any.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you actually read Supersonic's post?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • xtreem
    Yes sir, but can't we just discuss what's happened with the so called 1.85mm longer freehubs for 11 speed, in 2013?

Or are those the road ones and I need to change the office in this forum?

Btw, thank you @supersonic and thank you @thecycleclinic
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dura Ace is road stuff and different to MTB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • xtreem
    Thank you very much, ordering the NX...

Put a stamp on this tread and close it.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well well! I had no idea of this. I just fitted an 11 speed casette on my bike and the rest of the stuff, indexed and off I went. So I must have had a shimano hub then.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What other freehub were you likely to have, XD is totally different and not supplied unless specifically opted for.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    SD allows smallest sprocket to be 10t; smallest is 11t on shimano.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    02GF74 wrote:
    XD allows smallest sprocket to be 9t; smallest is 11t on Shimano.
    FTFY
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... ned-44409/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.