jamis nova race headset integrated, or just severely seized

johnbhoy
johnbhoy Posts: 61
edited October 2016 in The workshop
Hiya guys

I have a jamis nova race 2015 specs here
http://www.myjamis.com/jamis/consumer/b ... grp=road_4

I have taken the fork off to replace the headset top and bottom. The top is fine but the bottom appears to have disintegrated when i took it off.

Part of the headset remains in the bottom of the actual frame and the other part of the headset appears to be seized to the fork. I have bought the tools to remove from frame and fork, but i am not starting to get concerned that this might be some kind of intergrated (built into the fork) mechanism as i am literally whacking the thing very hard and its not budging.

Before i continue in this vein, can anyone confirm if this is the right approach?

I attached photos of the fork hope you can see but it looks like the bottom part of the bottom headset is actually part of the fork and not a seperate piece to me

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's called the crown race and yes it will be a tight interference fit on the steerer, perfectly normal, nothing to see here!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.