brand new bike, Rear Guide R brake not great

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

so I've had my cube stereo for a week now and I've been out on it a couple of times. Both times have been off road second time being at cannock chase.

I noticed the first time in taking the bike out that the rear brakes were a bit noisy and also i felt a bit of a gudder, but i put this down to new brakes needing some bedding in time. when i went to cannock chase it was a really wet day and nearing the last descent i noticed i was pressing the lever has hard as i could with the wheel only just locking up. Again i put this down to bedding in and a very wet/gritty track.

A few days later the brake lever needs pulling all the way so i thought id get a bleed kit and give that a go, bleed the system today and its still not great. Pads seemed ok probably had maybe 5 mm max on them which seems the same as the fronts. the fronts work amazingly and even at full lock the lever only pulls half the way.

Im now a bit stumped as to why the rear isn't as good, its a brand new bike so pads should be good and I'm sure I've bleed the system properly.

Any suggestions? i have Sram guide R brakes.

thanks in advance.

Dan

Comments

• actually looking at some reviews of the avid bleed kit they aren't great. I think the professional kit is the one I should have got.

I might message chain reaction tomorrow to see if can swap them out as I did notice that the kit does pull in a bit of air where the plastic tube is but I was pretty confident that it didn't go back in the system.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New brakes shouldn't need bleeding that quickly, it sounds to me like you may have a leaking calliper seal which would cause the noise and Jude's and then the lever pulling back to the bars, also means the pads are now terminal.

Have an Avid bleed kit that works fine and will be home tomorrow.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.