Used 2016 R5 or New 2016 Supersix Himod DA 2???

Timmyepp
Timmyepp Posts: 48
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a new bike under $5000 canadian (3000 pounds) I have found a used 2016 Cervelo R5 with Enve classic 45 wheels for approx $4000, and can also get a new Cannondale Supersix Himod Dura Ace 2 for $4700 including tax from a LBS. I have ridden the Cannondale for about 15 min and liked it very much, and am trying to test ride an R5 this weekend. I have heard great things about both bikes but have the following Q's:

1. I have seen someones R5 frame completely break this year, is this a known issue, and how much risk is this given there is no warranty?
2. How much difference will the Enve wheels make, would that make a really big difference on the R5?
3. How "valuable" is the warranty that I would get with the supersix, is it worth the extra money to buy new in your opinions? Are warranty issues on these high end bikes common?

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I would go for the new bike - the warranty back up is one essential reason - as you say there can be issues with frames. Warranty claims are not rare and can be for rather bizarre reasons!
  • Unless you can knock off another $500 off the Cervelo I'd go with the SS
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Do the Enve 45 wheels not make that much difference? If I want the stock wheels, I could get the R5 for $500 less, $3500. A new R5 is now on sale at the LBS for $5150 including tax
  • Timmyepp wrote:
    Do the Enve 45 wheels not make that much difference? If I want the stock wheels, I could get the R5 for $500 less, $3500. A new R5 is now on sale at the LBS for $5150 including tax

The Enve wheels are superb, lightweight wheels. Not sure you'd get a set second hand for that cheap.
    The SS with warranty is still a better choice.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    The new SS should have a lifetime warranty on the frame since it's the hi-mod.

It's brand new, ok it doesn't have the bling wheels of the second hand one but you still get a set of kysrium elites which are hardly a cheap entry set of wheels.

Also i've heard of a similar issue with a cervelo r series frame breaking and they were difficult about t he warranty claim
  • Also, it turns out the friend with the R5 cracked the frame by driving into an underground parking lot with it on his roof, not by riding it....
  • Himod Six every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
  • Himod Six every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
    Can I ask why, is it a new / used issue, or the bikes themselves?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Also, it turns out the friend with the R5 cracked the frame by driving into an underground parking lot with it on his roof, not by riding it....

Err, that kind of kills the thread really, doesn't it.

I would question the "friend" and ask him/her why they didn't mention this at the very start of affairs and actually tried to sell a bike with a serious flaw (not least in terms of resale value) for $4,000.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Also, it turns out the friend with the R5 cracked the frame by driving into an underground parking lot with it on his roof, not by riding it....

I would question the "friend" and ask him/her why they didn't mention this at the very start of affairs and actually tried to sell a bike with a serious flaw (not least in terms of resale value) for $4,000.

The bike I am looking at is not the one that my friend wrecked, thinking that his frame cracked just had me nervous about buying a used R5.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:

The bike I am looking at is not the one that my friend wrecked, thinking that his frame cracked just had me nervous about buying a used R5.

A bike that's the same that was cracked by driving it into an underground parking lot with it on his roof concerns you about that particular make and model?

Have you seen similar "smack it into a parking lot ceiling" tests on other bikes? Do you plan smacking yours into the ceiling of a parking lot? Your logic seems ever so odd. I don't think any bikes are designed to take hits like that, they are designed to be used for cycling.

That said, get the SS if it fits you well, those two bikes have significantly different geometry, so make sure whatever you choose fits.
  • Timmyepp wrote:
    Himod Six every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
    Can I ask why, is it a new / used issue, or the bikes themselves?

Six of one, half dozen of the other. It's a hell of a lot of money to spend on something with no coverage if anything goes wrong, for one thing. On the bike itself, Supersix/CAAD geometry and fit just works for me. No size of Cervelo hits the numbers I prefer on stack, reach etc. I love Hollowgram cranks and I'm not a fan of very sloping top tubes, either.
  • mfin wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:

A bike that's the same that was cracked by driving it into an underground parking lot with it on his roof concerns you about that particular make and model?

Have you seen similar "smack it into a parking lot ceiling" tests on other bikes? Do you plan smacking yours into the ceiling of a parking lot? Your logic seems ever so odd. I don't think any bikes are designed to take hits like that, they are designed to be used for cycling.

That said, get the SS if it fits you well, those two bikes have significantly different geometry, so make sure whatever you choose fits.

I wasnt clear in the earlier posts, I didnt know that my friends bike was damaged in that way, I had assumed it was done while riding, as I just saw pics without the explanation. That assumption made me nervous about the cervelo frame.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Timmyepp wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:

I wasnt clear in the earlier posts, I didnt know that my friends bike was damaged in that way, I had assumed it was done while riding, as I just saw pics without the explanation. That assumption made me nervous about the cervelo frame.

Well, that assumption was completely irrelevant, that's what I'm saying too. All good then.
  • Just bought the supersix, thanks for the advice and opinions. Glad I have the warranty as it is clicking like crazy when I push hard on the left pedal. Started on my first ride. Other than that, love the bike!