saddle bag essentials

mills2510
mills2510 Posts: 36
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,
Finally got my bike after a few long weeks waiting for C2W voucher.
I pushed the 1,000 limit close so did not get anything other than bike/helmet and cleats for my money.

Now I know I will need:
Couple of spare inner tubes
Pump of some description
Multitool?
My Whyte axel tool

But anything else I may need for a saddlebag? Or have I got bases covered with that list?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I also carry a spare quick link (as I use them, they're v small and could be useful), puncture repair kit (in case you puncture both inner tubes and its small to carry), 2 plastic tyre levers, latex gloves, spoke key (if not on multi tool).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, tyre levers unless you can get them on and off with just your thumbs. (Hats off to you if you can!)
    Puncture kit in case. Including a sealed, unopened tube of adhesive, and some tyre boot patch things in case you rip a hole in the tyre (been there, done that)
    Disposable gloves. Although I generally forget I have them till my hands are covered in filth, then put them on for the ride home to protect the bar tape...
    Missing links or similar, plus a chain tool (my multitool has one) Hopefully you'll never need them (I've only snapped one chain on the road and that was a cheap Chinese crap one and only a mile from home)
    Mobile phone / money / credit card

Ditched the spoke key; my low spoke count wheels are unrideably pringled if I lose a spoke.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    As above but from this time of year onwards co2 pump cold and wet + hand pump = no fun. Self adhesive patches again for the same reason. Hand wipes from kfc. Bit of old inner tube.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Things I recently included in a list on another thread:

Two or three of those lemon wipe things you get in KFC take up no room and will get the worst of any oil off your hands

Have a check of how many sizes of hex bolts are actually on your bike - in my case (for things that I am ever going to need to adjust or tighten on the road) it is just 2. Therefore 2 x hex keys costing pennies rather than a bulky and expensive multitool - easier and better to use than a multi tool too.

Chain tool
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Multi tools are only any good if they're usable. I binned mine and use separates now. Sometimes the body of the tool just gets in the way.
    Spare bolt for your cleat.
    Spare cash
    Ziptie.
  • drlodge
    Topeak mini 20 multi tool is pretty good. Its only for use in emergencies.

1281347486566-tymza87opcrc-630-80.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I have spare tube, Co2 cans, tool, chain link, patches and rubber gloves.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    1 x tube
    2 x CO cartridges
    1 x CO Inflator head
    2 x tyre levers
    1 x Park Tool self sticking puncture repair patches.
    1 x KMC quick link.
    3 x Allen keys (4, 5 & 6mm)

All the above fits in a small Scion pouch which is very neat and tidy when velcro'd to the saddle rails at the rear.
  • A quality saddlebag to put that stuff in. I use a Topeak aero wedge bag, med or large I can't remember. Around £15-£20. Buy cheap and you get a poor quality system for attaching to the bike and poor seams and zips.

Btw what Whyte did you go for? I have the Montpellier and absolutly love it.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Tyre boot made from a piece of old worn out tyre.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Tyre boot made from a piece of old worn out tyre.

^this, with the beads cut off....

PP
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Another thing worth carrying is disposable gloves. That way when you are fiddling with the drive chain the oil goes on the gloves and once you are done you can take them off and have clean hands.

Multitools tend to be useless as they tend to get in the way in use. Best to carry what you need separately with proper tools.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Kajjal wrote:
    Another thing worth carrying is disposable gloves. That way when you are fiddling with the drive chain the oil goes on the gloves and once you are done you can take them off and have clean hands.

Multitools tend to be useless as they tend to get in the way in use. Best to carry what you need separately with proper tools.

How big is your saddle bag!? Or do you ride with a backpack full of tools or something? A multi-tool saves room and weight, that is the general idea...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

How big is your saddle bag!? Or do you ride with a backpack full of tools or something? A multi-tool saves room and weight, that is the general idea...

Not just a full tool kit but also gaffer tape and petrol.

More seriously i have a couple of allen keys and a small screw driver which fit everything on the bike. They would weigh less than most multitools which have lots on i don't need and are easier to use.
  • Yes, I would have a multitool and as above tyre levers. Some people carry a spare inner tube and it is an essential. A boot and puncture repair kit could come in handy. It really depends on how long you are cycling for and where.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I carry:

Quick Patches
    Tyre Levers
    Cereal bar
    Cash
    Housekey
    Phone
    Tissues (folded up really small)

If I get in any major issues, the phone and cash will get me home.
  • mobile phone to call the team car (wifey).
    no tools required.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I have in my summer kit:

1x tube
    1x Puncture rapair kit (so when i puncture i repair straight away)
    2x Tyre levers
    1x Multi tool (really small gerber type)
    1x Multi tool (gerneral bike one)
    1x Gear cable
    1x Brake cable
    1x Spare link

I do also have a mini pump attached to the side of one of my bottle cages with a fair amount of electrical tape wrapped round the pump. (Not actually sure why, but its there just in case)

For winter months i have now included a CO2 unit and canister (will be grabbing a 2nd canister shortly).

Today i also considered making up a small First Aid Kit, with stuff like alcohol wipes a bandage dressing (or pads) and some Vaseline. Suppose i could use the electrical tape to secure the bandage :)
  • I like to carry an 8" by 10" oil on canvas of Frank Carson.
  • Used to have 2 rollups and a lighter in my saddlebag for a quick bine at the halfway point. That was over a decade ago though.
  • I find the plastic tyre leavers in the winter tend to snap 'cos they get brittle. So I use metal ones. But it depends how tight the tyre is on the rim.
  • No need for levers with good technique.
    If its cold and the tyre a bit stiff just pee on it, that'll warm it up and lubricate the need on one go.
  • Lights.
  • EBEB
    EBEB Posts: 98
    I have had a gradually growing saddle bag. After a break I would buy something to repair it. It has never broken again though, so nothing I have ever bought has come in useful. It got to the point where I was carrying a spare derailleur hanger and a temporary spoke kit (imported from America). I even carried things to repair what I read had gone wrong on other people's bikes.

I've only ever used an inner tube and tyre levers. Never tried removing a tyre with thumbs. Will have to have a go. I suspect it depends quite a lot on the tyre. I hope it is because after each break I learnt how something works better and maintenance improved. Probably just luck though.

Now I just take 2 x inner tube, 2 x tyre levers (why are there 3 in a set?), a mini-pump, an Allen key that works the important things and a very basic chain tool. I've installed powerlink type connector on every chain already. I don't carry a tube repair kit as I prefer to repair tubes when I get home and am warm. Ditto, spoke tool; if the rim gets buckled by a pothole I repair it at home.

A spare rear derailleur hanger is quite helpful though if you are commuting and need to be quick. Otherwise just removing the derailleur and converting it to a single speed by shortening the chain works enough to get home. A rear brake cable might be useful, but I've never had one break.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    - Stick on patches
    - Spare inner tube
    - 3 tyre levers
    - multi tool
    - chain quick link ( Ive actually had a chain snap on a mtb in the middle of a forrest. Was about a 10km / 6 mile walk home)
    - money for cafes
    - house key

I carry a dual function minipump and a co2 cartridge in my jersey pocket.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Most of what others have said, plus an emergency foil blanket or two. Because I was once in a position where I really needed one, and didn't have one with me. I'm not sure that it would have stopped me turning blue before the ambulance turned up, but i would have liked to have been in a position to find out.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • drlodge
    The stuff in my saddle bag is used more for other people's mishaps then my own. A well maintained bike and running tubeless means my incidents are far and few between, I can't remember the last time I had to open my saddle bag. Take the essentials and for the low probability event that you can't foresee, be prepared to call for assistance.

Inner tubes (if you need them), patches, tyre levers, spare chain link, multi tool, latex gloves, pump (and Co2 if you want) and a credit/debit card to bail you out if the worst happens. That's about it.

I do carry an inner tube just in case the tyre blows and comes unseated, but in the unlikely event that happens, its more likely I'd be calling for a lift home anyway.
    Find me on Strava