Odd Sounds - Chain Slap?

Alsa
Alsa Posts: 14
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,

Little help if you can please.

My bikes have been running as smooth as silk up until recently, during some recent leave I took the opportunity to clean both bike - only using the hose pipe and some Muc Off cleaner and protection spray. The MTB looked great afterwards and works a treat, however the Orbea has developed an annoying sound from the rear end (as best as I can discern) It sounds like something is loose and 'flapping' against the frame (carbon) or, more accurately, a metal surface. It's not a regular clicking sound, nor is it just when the road is rough or I'm putting down power (or conversely - freewheeling)

I have examined all aspects with, what feels like, a fine tooth comb and have even picked the bike up and physically shaken it. Wheels run true and quite, brakes are fine and the only solution I can come up with is that the chain is slapping the front derailleur. It bugged the hell out of me on a recent Triathlon cycle stage - Is this the sort of sound I should expect? Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you leave it to you get time off before cleaning the bike then I think that's a problem there.... Get them clean ASAP.

As to the mystery noise - Is it a piece of your kit thats flapping against the frame ? Tool bag or something ?

So hard to track down a noise that has no discernible pattern.

I don't think its chainslap - thats more likely on rough ground or freewheeling.
  • Alsa
    Thanks,

Odd kit flapping about was my first thought too, there was nothing extra on it at the time other than the bottle cage, even tried putting the saddle bag back on just in case! but that is exactly the kind of sound it makes.

I do clean them more regularly than that, but most times it's a good wipe down rather than a wheels off, spray with a hose type clean.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Saddle flexing and hitting the mount?
    That was my last one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    I had the 'very odd sound' one morning on a tour of Corsica; somewhere below and an irregular ticking

Took me a while to realise it was my shirt zip on the heart rate monitor :-(
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    can you mount your bike on a bike stand , and have a look whilst turning the pedals by hand
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Does it happen when you are x-chaining? If so try to avoid x-chaining.

Check that the derailleur cage is moving enough to keep the tension in the chain. If it is not free enough then you may have slack in the chain and it will be chain slap.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It could be possessed.

You might need to get it exorcised.
  • On a turbo trainer?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Alsa
    Jerry185 wrote:
    I had the 'very odd sound' one morning on a tour of Corsica; somewhere below and an irregular ticking

Took me a while to realise it was my shirt zip on the heart rate monitor :-(

Thanks for the reply, but No Hrm, so it's not that!
  • Alsa
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Saddle flexing and hitting the mount?
    That was my last one.

Thanks for the reply, have investigated, but don't think that was it.
  • Alsa
    can you mount your bike on a bike stand , and have a look whilst turning the pedals by hand

Thanks for the reply. No stand I'm afraid. Have tried lifting the rear end and spinning the pedals, the wheel, cleaning the cogs etc though.
  • Alsa
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Does it happen when you are x-chaining? If so try to avoid x-chaining.

Check that the derailleur cage is moving enough to keep the tension in the chain. If it is not free enough then you may have slack in the chain and it will be chain slap.

Thanks for the reply, don't think I was x-chaining at the time, but cleaned and lubed the rear derailleur/pullies - seems better. Thin you might have hit the nail on the head.
  • Alsa
    Fenix wrote:
    It could be possessed.

You might need to get it exorcised.

I have had it doused it in holy water (nearest I had was Vodka - do you thin it will still work?)
  • Alsa
    On a turbo trainer?

Thanks for the reply, not on a Turbo Trainer.