Newbie in triathlon... Giant Propel?

jArjona
jArjona Posts: 6
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Good afternoon everyone,

Firstly, thank you for accepting me in this community. I look forward to sharing with you all great experiences!

I need your advise on getting a bike. I tried triathlon for the 1st time a week ago and I just loved it! for such, I did rent a bike (BH Sphene) and now looking to buy one . I saw this one, and really liked it:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... 539/99146/

Would this be a good option for me? I'm 192cm and 115kg.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If it fits you then yes it'll be a good bike.

If you only have one bike then a road bike is what you need. Far more versatile than a full on triathlon bike.

What distance do you race at ? Probably not allowed to draft either I'd think ?
  • Thanks Fenix for your prompt response.

I do, actually. I want something versatile like you said so not just fully triathlon. I've signed up coming April for a 125km race, so around those distances I would say. What do you think, would it be comfortable enough?
  • You might want to check the upper weight limit on the frame and wheelset

You might not be at 115kg for long but you won't want to damage it in the mean time
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • thanks guy.spartacus. Noted.

Although, 115kg, I might not go down too much as I have quite a bit constitution so better to be on the safe side. Tried to find the weight specs but couldnt find it. Do you know where that usually is?

Thanks a lot, once again.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm sure we saw somewhere that BMC bikes dont have a weight limit if thats any help ?
    125k is pretty long for a triathlon - over the Half Iron distance by a fair amount.

At 115kg you will need sturdy wheels and see what tyres you can get on the bike. 25mm is the minimum I'd go for and I'm a fair bit lighter. Wider tyres give you more comfort.
  • If you click on the 'What is my size?' text on the page you linked to it shows you

You might be OK as it says upper weight limit of 125kg + 4.5kg luggage
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • Thanks Fenix.

Sorry, I meant 125k for just a race, not a triathlon (its a company get away, sort of). for triathlons, I will stick to olympic distance (40k).

Looking at the bike specs, it assembles Giant P-SL 1, Front and Rear Specific, 700x23mm Folding. You think I might damage them considering my size?
  • guy.spartacus, good catch. So in principle, it should "resist" myself :D.

Lets see now with the wheels now! thoughts?