Di2 Satellite climbing shifters - contemplating returning them

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
So I have a new Di2 bike, with Ultegra 6800.

You tube reviews show the extra port on the shifters, and as it's 11 spd too, I thought it must be fine, but on closer inspection I now realise that as it is the hydraulic shifters, for some reason they do not have the extra port :evil:

So if I want to make it work, I need to buy a 5 port junction box to replace my 3 port one (looks like I could sell the 3 port on for around £30) for around £55, to give me the required connections.

Have to say I was surprised quite how large the shifter buttons were, and I am considering just canning the whole idea.

Anyone on here has them, and has an opinion on them?

I'm fully aware they are not needed but clearly can not tell their benefit until I were to use them, so hoping to get some feedback from the forumites.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I looked at the climbing shifters and didn't go with them due to the size. Having said that I saw one of the pro bikes where they had managed to cut away the plastic mount and ended up with a far more sensibly sized solution.

I actually mounted the sprint shifters up as climbing shifters, which also negates the need to run into the junction box as they plug into the shifters directly. If you google it you can find a useful video that shows you how to extend the cable to let you do this, works well.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Ha, I have just investigated this, and can see the hydraulic shifters do not have the sprinting ports either!

So it's a 5 port box or nothing for me.

I've also shown up the shifters to my Ergonova bars, and due to the placement of my garmin mount, it can't even sit flat, so I think it would look even more sh1t that normal.
    Think it has to go back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Daniel B wrote:
    Ha, I have just investigated this, and can see the hydraulic shifters do not have the sprinting ports either!

So it's a 5 port box or nothing for me.

I've also shown up the shifters to my Ergonova bars, and due to the placement of my garmin mount, it can't even sit flat, so I think it would look even more sh1t that normal.
    Think it has to go back.

I have Ultegra Di2 6800 with the climbing shifter on Ergnova bars and frankly I don't care how sh1t it may look, they are my favourite thing about Di2. It's just lovely not having to move around to shift gear if you're on the tops.