Worn chainrings

jameswood93
jameswood93 Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone. It's my first time here.

I'm looking to use someone's wisdom to help me with replacing the chainset/chainrings on my bike.

I have a Felt QX65 which has an SR Suntour XR178 Chainset 48T/38T/28T. The chainrings are knackered and I'm looking to replace them. Anyone know if I can buy the chainrings individually (and where from) or am I better off replacing the whole chainset (with crankarm etc)?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are the chainrings bolted on or riveted? From the photo's they look riveted so it would be a whole new crankset.

Are you sure they are knackered and its not the different tooth height to aid shifting you are looking at (common mistake)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rookie - Thanks for your help. You're right, they're riveted. That's annoying. Definitely knackered, particularly the middle (most used) chainring - many of the teeth have been sharpened, some curved and some have the top section sheared off.

The specs of the current crankset are here: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/en/NZ/ ... -4068.html

What should I replace it with? I am not a hardcore rider, just want my bike to go on casual rides mostly. I am using a 7 speed cassette with a Shimano Acera M360-SGS long cage derailleur at the back end.

Thanks again
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just double check the pics to see that they're not designed like that to help shifting......

How many miles have you done ?
  • Pictures out there aren't that helpful. Can't see the teeth very well since the pictures of cranksets all seem to be from the other side.

I did 3 years of fairly constant riding on it. Not sure about milage.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I once bought a new middle ring for my 105 road triple just because somebody was selling them cheap. 7 years of all-year-round riding, 95% of that in the middle ring, so I figured it might be a bit worn. Upon dismantling the thing and comparing it with the new one I could see no sign at all of any wear!
    So now I have a spare which might come in handy if I carry on cycling well into my nineties...