New Ragley size guides

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've been spending a good while using the search function (and google etc) to no avail so i'm hoping someone on here can help me.

After a bit of thought I've decided to push the buy button on a new ragley but without having a dealer nearby im finding it quite hard to get a definitive answer which size frame i should get. I'm 5'11 with 31" inseam and according to ragleys guide I should be looking at a medium but searching around the internet the recommendation seems to point towards going a frame size smaller than normal.

Granted the search only brings up older 26" bikes which just confuses me more as I cant find anything to help with sizing on the 27.5" wheel frame.

Does this rule still stand or did it ever stand? I usually ride 17/18" frames but they have all been 26" wheels so this will be my first 27.5" bike.

If it helps my previous bikes (all size M) were:
on-one 456c
on-one inbred
whyte 46

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Wheel size is completely irrelevant to bike sizing. It makes no difference at all.
    Sizing also varies a lot between different bikes so it's best to compare geometry rather than just a seat tube measurement or S, M, L or XL.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    on one 456 in general is much smaller than it should be, I own one and at 6.1 the L size feels like a kids bike on me compared to my xl jeffsy which is roomier and more comfortable on climbs. with ragley you can even go large as the seat tube is short enough to fit a 150mm dropper. measure your rails to bb distance on the bike that fits you better and compare it to the ragley, also seat post centre to handle bar, this will give you an idea of how bigger or smaller the bike you are looking is compared to yours.
    as RMSC said size is irrelevant to wheel size
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if changing the wheel size would have an affect.

Looking at the geometry the ragley has an effective tt only slightly longer than the 456c so maybe its best just to order the same size.