First road bike

AllAboutGuitar
AllAboutGuitar Posts: 47
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone,

Gonna be selling my MTB soon because of a long haul/international move next year. But in the mean time, kinda need a road bike to get to and from work (~10 miles away) mainly, but probably to friends aswell about the same distance. I'd say I'd end up doing between 80 and 100 miles a week.

Looking for something cheap, yet fast and won't fall apart in the first week of owning it. Also something that will still hold it's value after, only gonna have it for about 6-8 months. Might even be a chance of giving it away after so the last point doesn't matter too much.

I'm pretty much completely new to the road biking stuff so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks for the help in advance :D

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    How do you define cheap, i.e. how much are you looking to spend?
  • neeb wrote:
    How do you define cheap, i.e. how much are you looking to spend?

£500 would be good, after doing a little research found a few that are good, at least I think they are, under that price point. But could probably stretch to £750 if I had to.
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    Buy a good used bike and sell it for roughly what you paid for it a few months later.

Plenty about:

Classifieds on this site
    Gumtree
    eBay
    Pinkbike etc.

If you are going to commute on it (especially over the winter months) you might want to look at cyclocross bikes with wider tyres and mudguards.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Decathlon - get something like a 540; less than 10 kg, carbon forks, Shimano 105 gears and Mavic wheels= £650. I have the earlier version of this bike and it is brilliant.
    Or go for the flat bar option - Slight gear downgrade (Tiagra) and B'Twin wheels at £500
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Dont bother buying second hand you could get problems plus people ask too much for them.
    Buy new over £500 and you should get something reliable and good quality especially in the sales
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Decathlon - get something like a 540; less than 10 kg, carbon forks, Shimano 105 gears and Mavic wheels= £650. I have the earlier version of this bike and it is brilliant.
    Or go for the flat bar option - Slight gear downgrade (Tiagra) and B'Twin wheels at £500

+1

Comes with 25mm tyres but can take up to 32mm (or 28mm with mudguards)
  • Pinnacle, Specialized, Cannondale are often a good shout for a first roadbike as lots of people get them through c2W schemes