Shorts help!

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm currently having a 'mare buying some new shorts.

By all the measurements given on manufacturer's websites I'm a medium (5'9, 30" waist, 30" inside leg, slim build)

The problem seems to be getting my quads in medium sized shorts. I'm hardly Robert forsterman but it's so tight in a medium that it's impossible to get them on.

I tried a pair of Castelli shorts on in a medium, they wouldn't go on at all, the large nearly castrated me and then the XL just about fitted around the legs but the pad was far too wide and the shorts came to the knee rather than above it.

Endura (I already have a large pair) seemed to fit in a large but again, the pad was too wide, they are also slightly too long but they're the only one's I can get my legs in. They don't make the pair I had before so they are out of the question.

I'm looking for a bit of advice as to what shorts have a bit more room around the quads and a pad that's not super wide as the ones on the XLs seem to almost fold in half they are so wide. Surely most cyclists have a larger than average size quad muscle due to what they do all the time?!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Castelli sizes are ridiculous. I don't bother with them now.

Check out DHB - their sizing and reviews are very useful. You can always send them back to wiggle too.
  • Paul 8v
    Good call. Yes, Castelli are ridiculous, my gabba is baggy, jersey is super tight. Both the same size, can't even get consistency over their own products!
  • I've always found the Rapha shorts in XL to be great.

Their leg warmers are too tight for me but shorts are a must have
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Which Castelli did you try? The different range variations actually fit very differently. Our club kit uses the 'Volo' shorts and these are a great fit for me and my big legs. I tried a pair of Aero Race in the same size and the fit was terrible and leg gripper rode too far up making them look like hot pants.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Good call. Yes, Castelli are ridiculous, my gabba is baggy, jersey is super tight. Both the same size, can't even get consistency over their own products!

Yes - my gabba was baggy around the collar and tight everywhere else. I wasnt't planning on wearing a scarf so I sold it on.

They must have odd shaped mannequins.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assos Cento shorts are sized for ordinary mortals not racing snakes.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    If you like endura shorts Paul, you can pick the leg length and pad width now
  • Paul 8v
    If you like endura shorts Paul, you can pick the leg length and pad width now
    Can you get the ones with the smaller pad in? I had mediums and it was too wide. The legs were too long too.

Annoyingly the ones I had from you a few years ago are going see through and they don't make them any more
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I can't but shops sell them
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :DAny thoughts on Giant Race Day bib shorts versus Madison Peloton bib shorts ?

Preparing Xmas list :D