First Bike trail centres

Majestic Daz
Majestic Daz Posts: 2
edited November 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I am new on this forum so hello everyone, and pretty new to mountain biking, i have been renting bikes for the last year maybe 4 or 5 times really enjoyed it and think its time to get to get my own bike.. I have around a 500 quid budget to spent i mainly ride trail centres, i have been looking at the VOODOO bikes the bantu and hoodoo. Has anyone got any advice on these bikes or other makes to have a look at?
Any advice would be great
Cheers Daz

Comments

• B'Twin from Decathlon stores
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Calibre's from go outdoors, Halfords for the Voodoo or newly improved Carrera Kraken/Fury or 13 Incline or lower end Boardman or Decathlon for one of the 500 series bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the trail centre/s really. Massive difference between what is suitable for for something like Swinley and some of the Wales/Scottish centres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Prepare to be disappointed - some of the hire bikes at the trail centres are actually quite good, and particularly are likely to have decent forks which may well not be present in the bikes available at £500. That's not true of all hire shops at all trail centres, but on my £300 decathlon bike I do look jealously at the ones hired from OnePlanetAdventure at Llandegla (their cheapest is Orange Crush, 140mm rockshox forks, electronic shifting, etc - https://oneplanetadventure.com/bike-booking/ )

I suppose for a hire business it makes sense to invest in robust, long lasting but effective equipment.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • From what I've read the voodoo is good value, is it not worth looking for something second hand that may have had a few upgrades?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Are the places that you rent bikes from selling them off any time soon?
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Pedalabike in the FoD away have a few Bird Aeris for sale but at £1699 they may be a tad over budget.
  • Out of al the bikes I'd get the hoodoo, the spec is very good for the money, I loved mine and it did great at Cannock. But if you sign up to British cycling for £21 for the year you will get 10% off at Halfords. If you can stretch and get the bizango it's very very good and unbeatable with the price.

It has some great reliable forks, deure gears which again are solid and the wheels and tyres are also good and trial centre ready.
  • hi

somebody asked this only a week or so ago and this was my advise

""well if it was me it would be down to the following

B'Twin Rafal 720
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rafal-720-mo ... oCLb7w_wcB

Boardman Mountain Bike Comp 27.5" (because halfords have 20% boardman bikes. and i own a boardman and love it)
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -comp-27-5
    VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain Bike
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

so you have the new rafal 720 that everybody is talking about at the moment because of its specs .
    you then have the halfords boardman comp, its a great bike for the money and the boardman bikes range have won awards from "what mountain bike" over the past 4+ years from best value bike in its range (boardman HT Pro)
    then again their is also the voodoo hoodoo bike again from halfords and again this also won awards and its a firm fave on here by many owners.

so that would be my top 3 choices in this price area, i know most will say that the rafel is the best buy because of its amazing specs but im not a big fan of decathlon bikes because of a bad experience but thats nothing to do with the bike itself.""

at £500 the voodoo is great, the boardman comp is £520 and is great too, i haven't been on a Rafal 720 £599 but lots of talk on the forums all says its stupid cheap for its £599 price (rrp 999) but the rafel maybe too much of a xc bike then a trial bike. but this would be my top 3 picks. :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The btwin Rafal is good for the money but more xc than trail oriented.
    The Voodoo is probably the best new trail bike for the money.
    I think I'd probably look for a used 26" Giant Trance instead. They're pretty much indestructible and great to ride.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    The btwin Rafal is good for the money but more xc than trail oriented.
    The Voodoo is probably the best new trail bike for the money.
    I think I'd probably look for a used 26" Giant Trance instead. They're pretty much indestructible and great to ride.

Would a used giant anthem with Sram x5
    Rockshox front and rear air shocks be a good purchase for around 450-500 if in good condition?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on which model Rockshox, but as it has X5 I'm guessing fairly low end. Depends on how old it is, personally I think it's a tad overpriced for what you get even if it's the market value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jdee84
    The Rookie wrote:
    Depends on which model Rockshox, but as it has X5 I'm guessing fairly low end. Depends on how old it is, personally I think it's a tad overpriced for what you get even if it's the market value.

Thanks! Gumtree seems a bit of a minefield! A lot here seems over priced like a 2014/15 boarmand 650b team HT for around 400 or someone saying a felt q220 cost them 550 in the summer as far as i can see the bike shown is from 2009.

would a barely used bizango at £350 represent good value?

or an orbea alma 29er with this description at £480 FOX CTD forks, Mavic cross ride wheels, SRAM XO 1x 10 gearing, Carbon seatpost and bars, slx disc brakes
  • cooldad
    It's impossible to recommend any based on a few words. Links/pictures etc help, a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    jdee84 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

would a barely used bizango at £350 represent good value?

Yes. Very good if no earlier than 2014. Then upgrade to 1*10 / 11.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    I'd make a lowball offer on the Bossnut. It's a good deal new, so get it almost new half price or so and it's a steal.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jdee84
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd make a lowball offer on the Bossnut. It's a good deal new, so get it almost new half price or so and it's a steal.

would a lowball offer on this make sense? 400 ish

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/2015 ... 1197464753
  • Another vote for the Voodoo. At that kind of price range they are very good value for money.
  • I was in the same kinda price bracket to you. I ended up stumping for a second hand voodoo bizango and i can't recommend it highly enough. Price wise anything under £400 is good, if you can get one for closer to £300 then you're laughing.
  • jdee84
    ended up getting a second hand boardman team fs 650b for 390 had left it a bit long on the voodoo and the ad had gone