10sp to 11 sp

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi, I am about to upgrade my wheels and it says can take 10 or 11sp cassettes. At the moment I have a 10, but if I bough an 11 spd one would the shifters etc be able to cope or are the fixed to being 10spd? It is a shimano 105 10sp groupset at the moment

Comments

• shiznit76 wrote:
    Hi, I am about to upgrade my wheels and it says can take 10 or 11sp cassettes. At the moment I have a 10, but if I bough an 11 spd one would the shifters etc be able to cope or are the fixed to being 10spd? It is a shimano 105 10sp groupset at the moment

Your left shifter will be indexed to 10 speed, the only way to change that is to change your shifter. But just changing your left shifter to 11 speed 105 won't do as it has a different cable pull so your current rear derailleur won't work.

At minimum you'll need.
    * Left and right shifters (need both or it'll look rediculous)
    * Front derailleur (cable pull different)
    * Rear deraileur (cable pull different)
    * Cassette
    * Chain
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Cheers for info.
    I think i'll happily stick to 10sp then and just stick a space on the hub for my old 10 cassette :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    This is where SRAM has a distinct advantage as you would only need to change the shifters and cassette. Derailleurs work with 10 or 11 speed.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.