SRAM Rival Shifter Fault

Spangle12
Spangle12 Posts: 29
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I've noticed while trying to index my rear mech that there's something odd with my shifter. There's a little hole in the red plastic barrel that the end of the gear cable seats into and on my shifter there's a slot in it so it looks like you can slot the cable through it and then seat the end in the hole. The slot is in the direction of the cable, kind of like the slots you get on the barrel adjuster on old V brakes or like the slot on the barrel adjuster on a motorbike clutch lever.

I didn't think anything of it at the time because it looked like it was meant to be like that however it causes a pretty annoying problem. If you shift down (slacken the gear cable) without simultaneously turning the wheel (which I have to do when indexing as I don't have a bike stand) the slack in the cable comes out at the shifter and often it can be enough to unseat the gear cable end from the hole in the barrel and then my shifter is completely disconnected from the mech. To reset it I have to remove the cable from the mech to push enough slack back up to the shifter to pop the cable out completely and reset it into the hole in the barrel. I thought this was just a very poor design but i've looked today online and it looks like that slot shouldn't be there. I found the image below. That makes a lot more sense because any slack in the cable at the shifter doesn't matter, the cable end is always going to be caught by the red rotating barrel.

I wondered if this is a common problem on SRAM road shifters or if anyone has any idea of a successful bodge? So far I can't find anywhere selling the red bit as a spare.
Red+Shifter+Internals+sm.jpg

Comments