Abandoned inner tubes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Am I the only one who picks up abandoned inner tubes to take home and repair?
Leaving anything behind on a ride is no better than littering but on the bright side, I haven't bought a tube in years and I'm yet to find one that couldn't be patched in five minutes.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why are you still using inner tubes though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Strangely enough I picked one up today it was a fence by a gate you had to go through, I didn't pick it up to re use as I run tubeless, I picked it up because I can't believe how some people are so thoughtless and just throw their s**t away in some of the beautiful places we ride :evil:
  • It drives me mad. You've had a punchture so you take a spare tube out of your bad so why the hell cant you put the other one back in. I just don't get it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pick em up and take them home, repair and give them away, or they live in my desk at work for colleagues who get punctures.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    This company were selling wallets made of old innertubes on their stand at the NEC.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've never seen any abandoned inner tubes but always seem to come across people out on rides who don't have either a spare tube, puncture repair kit or a decent pump.

So the time taken to help out people hopefully someone will help me out if I ever need it.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Inner tubes, gel sachets, lucozade bottles, etc etc. Don't understand littering in a sport / pasttime where being in the natural outdoors is one of the cornerstones of the activity.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    never found an inner tube ...... but regularitly come down from Cwmcarn with a heavier, fuller bag than I went up there with

The hard bit is explaining to the Wife, who thinks you are on a diet, why you have 5 snickers wrappers, 3 empty cans of red bull a sandwich packet, 5 empty crisp packets and an empty box of Mr Kiplins cakes in the rucksack "honest love, I found all that rubbish"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    larkim wrote:
    Inner tubes, gel sachets, lucozade bottles, etc etc. Don't understand littering in a sport / pasttime where being in the natural outdoors is one of the cornerstones of the activity.
    Very much agree with this. Boils down to the same problem as so many other things, just that some people are selfish cnuts.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Very much agree with this. Boils down to the same problem as so many other things, just that some people are selfish cnuts.

+1

The same with energy gel wrappers!!!!!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

I don't on my proper mountain bike. I use them for the pub bike, commuter and wife & kids bikes. I also carry one for emergencies while mountain biking or give them away to people who need them.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    fat daddy wrote:
    never found an inner tube ...... but regularitly come down from Cwmcarn with a heavier, fuller bag than I went up there with

The hard bit is explaining to the Wife, who thinks you are on a diet, why you have 5 snickers wrappers, 3 empty cans of red bull a sandwich packet, 5 empty crisp packets and an empty box of Mr Kiplins cakes in the rucksack "honest love, I found all that rubbish"

..and if you add the used condoms then the explanation becomes just a tad more challenging.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The MTB I mostly use has tubulars no risk of me leaving a inner tube behind with these. Actually I never see inner tubes about but I do see alot of litter at the side of the road thrown out of cars.

Same mentality I guess.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Veronese68 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Yep, that's about it.

It beggars belief
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The MTB I mostly use has tubulars no risk of me leaving a inner tube behind with these. Actually I never see inner tubes about but I do see alot of litter at the side of the road thrown out of cars.

Same mentality I guess.
    I once shouted at a car driver for throwing a can out the window, they went to the Police to complain about me (I was in a car at the time so traceable) and in doing so admitted I shouted at them for littering - they got a formal warning for littering, the investigating officer and I both had a good laugh about it.

Ignorant in both senses of the word.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Me and a mate came down from a night in the hills with a bin bags full of tin cans and assorted rubbish. I drew the line at nappies though my mate didn't. Trust me a nappy left out in heavy rain is over 3 times the volume of a normal used nappy. The bit that soaks moisture up keeps on swelling until the nappy ruptures. Then any pressure, including lifting it up, results in it releasing moisture, a lot of moisture too.

Nappies and bags of dog poo are my pet hates to find in the outdoors. I can keep calm over tissues and toilet paper, even next to streams wildcampers use but not nappies and dog poo bags.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Never quite could understand why owners would choose to scoop the poop into a nice little plastic bag, and then leave that around as litter, often hanging on tree branches it seems!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    The Rookie wrote:

Same mentality I guess.
    I once shouted at a car driver for throwing a can out the window, they went to the Police to complain about me (I was in a car at the time so traceable) and in doing so admitted I shouted at them for littering - they got a formal warning for littering, the investigating officer and I both had a good laugh about it.

Ignorant in both senses of the word.
    That really made me laugh, I shouldn't be surprised by the stupidity of some people but every now and then I hear something like that.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

I don't on my proper mountain bike. I use them for the pub bike, commuter and wife & kids bikes. I also carry one for emergencies while mountain biking or give them away to people who need them.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    larkim wrote:
    I see loads of empty energy gel sachets at Llandegla. Not sure why people need energy gels on the red route.